Chemo

• 3 replies
  • 32 subscribers
  • I start chemo next week, carboplatin and Paclitaxel on week one and then just Paclitaxel on weeks 2 and 3,then a week off before we start again. Any info would be appreciated- how long does it take, how ill will I be, how soon will I lose my hair? Anything will help. Thank you
  • Hi, firstly I'm sorry I don't have the answers to your questions but I just wanted to say please try not to panic - someone here will be able to answer because I have seen these chemo drugs mentioned recently. The staff who care for you are expert in what they do, and you will be well looked after, I'm sure. They will give you all the info you need, and be able to answer any questions or worries you have. 

I wish you all the best. The drugs used in treating our cancer are very effective, and any side effects like nausea can be managed really well, so the sooner you start, the better. Hope you hear soon from someone re your chemo drugs. Maybe if you use the search tool at the top you will find the previous posts with these drugs mentioned.

• Hello Oakwood

I think perhaps you missed my first reply, so I will just copy it here.

A warm welcome to the forum, although I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  If you check my profile you will see that I also had a diagnosis of stage IV and went through the same treatment that you are about to start, my secondary was in my lung.

I am guessing that you are having the carboplatin/paclitaxol chemo as I did.  I tolerated this very well apart from the first session my liver levels were too high afterwards and I had 75% of the dose thereafter.  I did lose my hair but found a wonderful seller on Etsy that made me really comfortable caps in colours to match my summer clothes, I am happy to give you details should you decide on these.  This chemo regimen was very effective at controlling spread and shrinking the existing tumours and I went on to have the chemo/radiotherapy afterwards, plus two lung ablations.

In these early days it is all such a lot to take in, but in spite of being terrified and refusing to visit the chemo unit I grew to love my visits there, the staff were absolutely wonderful and it was a happy place with lots of chatting and laughter - I wouldn't have believed it until I experienced it.  I took my Sudoku book and a newspaper and although I was there for three hours the time flew past.  Just a warning - you will be given steroids to control nausea and on the evening after the chemo, the steroids kept me awake until the wee small hours, it wasn't unusual to find me cleaning or ironing at 2 am in the morning!

Will be thinking of you and hoping it all goes well.  If I can help with anything at all, please just shout out.

Irene xx

PS Best of luck next week x

• Hi please try not to worry unduly about starting your chemo. I was terrified. I think we are only ever told the worst case senarios! I was told you will loose your hair and you will feel wretched some days!! I was more scared than when having radiotherapy or surgery. I have just completed my second cycle on exactly the same regime as you. I have used the cold cap and still got my hair with no significant loss to speak of. Week one is is the worst in my experience but if you keep on top of the sickness medications you should be fine. I find Ondansatron the most effective. The fatigue has seemed to improve with the second cycle and I even feel well enough to work a few hours a week too. I am working from home so as to not risking infections but working nonetheless less. I hope that things are the same for you amd wish you lots of luck with your treatment.