Gutted and scared can I have a glass of wine?

• 20 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi just had call with results of mri and MDT meeting. They are pleased with the way the treatment has gone chemo radiotherapy but they need to examine if possible and do a eui (I think that’s what it is) and send a biopsy off, seeing my consultant miss macdonald on 21st March. So basically when I asked more questions they think it hasn’t all gone it but it could be scaring. She said I’m sorry it’s not what you wanted to hear. I’m gutted and scared FlushedSob think I’m going to end up with a stoma bag.
I’m on Oxycodone slow release and paracetamol do you think I could have a couple of glasses of wine or would it be dangerous xx 

• Hello  

Im so sorry you’ve had a bit of worrying news. But can I reassure you to wait until you’ve had the next tests. I too had an area left that looked suspicious but was indeed scarring and in fact I’ve just left a message on another post about that scarring and pain from it to another lady that is going through similar. 

So try not to panic. I can’t advocate a glass of wine with the oxycodone but on the other hand, after all we’ve been through I think one glass of wine should be the last of our worries! 

Sending you a reassuring hug. I’m 18 months post treatment and I still have wobbles and worry but if it is just scarring like it is for a lot of us then you’ll find lots of useful info when you need it. 

Please keep us posted

PPR x 

• Hi PPR thank you so much for your reply. oh I really hope it’s scarring. The waiting is so painful it’ll be at lease 6-8 weeks by the time the general and biopsy is done then waiting for results. But why would they need to send a biopsy off? Confused.com. Trying to block it out xx 

• GreenNanny, in the grand scheme of things unless the Oxycodone box says DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL I would have that couple of glasses of wine, it might help you relax and sleep a a little bit better tonight.  I think you need it.

In January I had to have a sigmoidoscopy as the area where my tumour had been was showed 'thickening'.  It turned out to be scar tissue.  However, I would listen to the team treating you, they seem to be on the ball and may well recommend surgery if the tumour hasn't completely gone.  Hearing what you did must have been such a shock, my heart goes out to you and I completely understand that you would rather not have a stoma, but wait and see what the investigations show.  I know it must be so hard after being through all the treatment to face this.

I am thinking of you (and joining you in that glass or two of wine).

Irene xx

• Oh Nanny, I'm betting it's not anything dire but we never do know, do we? Obviously no wine with the oxy if you have to do anything useful at all, but if you can just chill on your couch and you're not too wobbly to get to the loo without falling?

Enjoy yur dang glass of wine!

Hugs

Suz

• Aww thank you Irene you always been such comfort, words of wisdom and good information! I tried half a small glass of mulled wine which is only 5.5 percent I found it in the cupboard that wasn’t deliciously consumed at Christmas as too poorly. To be fair I didn’t enjoy it and my ankles started to ache - weird! Might try a glass of Prosecco Saturday xx 

• Hi Suz thanks for your reply you’re right and I hope not fingers crossed it’s scarring really hope I’m wrong xx 

• I find Prosecco goes down quite nicely!

Irene xx

• It does indeed, but you can’t have alcohol with oxycodone unfortunately as it’s a synthetic opioid and it should say no alcohol on the box or leaflet. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• I am 20 months post treatment and unfortunately any whiff of alcohol sends me straight to the loo so have not touched a drop in over 18 months. It would be nice to have a nice gin and tonic now and again but cannot accept the consequences. Some would say it’s a good thing I can not drink it as it is totally toxic for the body. But great for the relaxation point of view. I have read three months post scans are very unreliable and even up to six months because of scarring. It just sets you off again doesn’t it. Take care

• Sarah, thank you for pointing that out, I didn't realise.

Irene xx