Do we tell our grandchildren of my diagnosis?

• 13 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi I start my treatment on the 7th November and some family members feel we should tell two of our grandchildren who are 4 and 6 years old as we won’t be able to see them as much as we would normally because of catching gems etc. I don’t agree I feel they are too young and as adults we should protect them at such a young age. They have found a good book on Amazon about cancer. Fills me with dread to be honest!!! Do people still see their grandchildren through treatment?? So worried what to do for best. 

• No do not tell your grandchildren I would never ever want them to know anything like that.

I would not even introduce a book about cancer. Absolutely not. 

You see your grandchildren when you feel able, you will ‘now yourself, children don't understand time.  

You need to keep positive about your cancer, never ever give up. 

• I may be wrong,I have grandchildren too aged, 5 4, 2, 1 I never ever considered telling the older ones and I’m sure my sons would not have wanted me to,

I’m nanna as always, when I was fit enough which was about 2 weeks after my treatment I went over to see my baby’s. 

I was never ever ever concerned about infections, my human instincts to see my grandchildren and beautiful sons outweigh anything. 

Just be yourself, the treatment is not as bad as what it’s made out to be. I’m 62 years old very fit and healthy which helped a lot I’m sure. Stop worrying about everyone else concentrate on yourselHearts. HeartsHeartsHeartsHearts

• Hi GreenNanny, I agree with 1996 and do not see the benefits of telling your very young grandchildren. If you are unable to see them as much due to you not feeling well enough then just saying Nanna isn’t feeling well is all they need to know. I also think to bombard young children with this kind of stuff is too much, let them be children. Until you start your treatment you don’t know how you will feel. Speak to your medical team if you are worried about germs. I pretty much carried on as normal whenI felt I could. The treatment effects accumulate as the weeks progress but we all react differently. Some of us managed to continue working and some can manage very well with pain killers and creams. Please don’t feel pressured into anything as it’s you that is having treatment and you don’t need stress of this. Take care Julie

• Hi thanks for the reply 1996 I know their thoughts come from a good place I’m just not comfortable with it and my husband agrees with me. They are good they have said they’ll respect my wishes and go with it. Just wondered how everyone else felt. 

• Hi Julie thanks for the reply. It made me feel sick when they first suggested it tonight. Just the thought they would know just feels awful!!! I have explained in detail why I don’t want them to know so I’m sure they’ll be fine. It’s hard enough for us as adults 

• You keep strong and positive, and think of you beautiful family and grandchildren, all the special times you’ve had together and are going to have in the future. I’m taking my family, 3 sons, 3 daughter-in-laws 5 grandchildren and sister to a log cabin  Loch Lomond , Scotland for my 63rd birthday in January. It will be a blast hot tubs and all. 

Always be happy you have a wonderful husband by your side, ( everything's gonna be alright.) 

this web page and all of us are here for you when ever or what ever you want to ask or are not sure about. HeartsHeartsHeartsHeartsHearts

i personal don’t know how I would have coped without Macmillan.  

• Thank you 1996 hope you all have a wonderful time together! X 

• My granddaughter is only 2 so obviously we're not telling her. Maybe at 4, certainly at 6. It would (and, I think, should) always be the parents' call, but kids mature at different rates. In a perfect world, the subject would arise naturally and be dealt with simply and matter-of-factly. But if there's one thing my kids and grands can count on from me, it's honesty. Doesn't mean it has to be graphic or gross or scary, but I find that kids are incredibly intuitive AND resilient and can handle a surprising amount of information so long as they're supported and feel they can trust their grownups.

Suz

• My daughters both live very close to us.  When I was first diagnosed they were so upset their children knew something was wrong and they told their sons; one was seven and the other two were five.  My daughters didn't make a huge deal out of it, told them I had cancer, that I would be having a lot of treatment and it may make me unwell.  The little ones totally accepted the news and were fascinated by the various stages I went through.  When I lost my hair they would remove my cap and stroke my head to 'feel' it!  Whilst I was resting during the latter stages of the chemo radiation, they would run upstairs and sit on the bed chatting to me and were so caring; they were part of the 'team' making sure Grandma was comfortable.  Flow tests were the norm in their households prior to any visits, both families had Covid but my husband and I were fine and we carried on visiting their homes too.

The decision to share the news was right for them and right for me; I think the word 'cancer' strikes such fear into an adult's heart but the word doesn't have the same connotation for children, well I should say my grandchildren!   

But that was us.  You must do what you are comfortable with; there isn't a definitive 'right' way, just your way.

Not long now until your treatment starts; will be thinking of you all the way.

Irene xx

• Hi Irene well I think you have described just what my children have suggested. To be fair I’m not sure anymore what really is for the best! Confused.com xx it’s just the worry our two eldest grandchildren 4 & 7 years old will get very upset I’ll feel so bad. 
    can I ask how you are doing Irene if you don’t mind. How’s your treatment and recovery going? Thinking of you xx