Starting chemo/radiation soon

• 3 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi everyone 

im 4 weeks (tomorrow) post surgery. I had to have a stoma formed as my tumour caused some heavy vaginal bleeding. 

my primary tumour sits between the vagina and anal canal, growing forwards mostly. The bleeding was horrific and so scary. The surgeon decided to take a look laparoscopically and decided that a stoma (colostomy) would be best as there was a risk of a fistula forming when the tumour shrinks during radiation. 

whilst doing this he noted that the “metastasis” were not inside the peritoneal lining which is what I’ve been told from the beginning, I also found out that the 2 of these mets are actually 2 lymph nodes. 

anyway the short if it is that the surgeon and my oncologist have no said they can target the primary and the 3 areas/nodules/lymph’s/mets. (Whatever they decide to call them) with the radiotherapy. Different to what I was initially told. The surgeon has also said he could remove them following radiation if needed. 

I cannot wait to start the next lot of treatment on the 12th (a month later than planned) but I’m also so apprehensive and I know it’s such a long road ahead yet. 

Just wandering how people Managed their time during the 3 months after radiation. It’s going to be a busy time (xmas, birthdays etc) so I don’t want to be feeling anxious and stressed not knowing what’s going on inside my body. 

sorry for the long waffling post, 

best wishes, kerrie xxx

• Hi Kerrie, 

I spent the first three months after treatment resting and recovering. Whatever was busy in my life got shunted off until later. I needed all my focus and resources on healing. 

Christmas and birthdays won't be any better for you over-stressing yourself. I suggest saying a cheerful and courteous 'no' to everything anyone has planned that involves you and to clear your schedule with YOU as the only priority.

Hang in there and check in here as much as you need to! Keep us posted.

Suz

• You haven't waffled in the least and have given a very clear picture of what is going on.  In the three months after chemo/radiotherapy I was very very tired, and very sore everywhere below and I slept a great deal.  As you have a stoma you won't have the problems of having painful bowel movements but you might find it painful to urinate.  I used a HappyPo to squirt water so my urine didn't sting too much.

Be kind to yourself; don't try to do too much or worry about things that are outside your control (your body recovering) and let everyone else deal with the birthdays and Christmas.  You will have undergone a very intense five weeks of treatment and those around you will know that.

Nearly everyone on here has been through this, please remember you have a group of virtual friends who are here to help, advise and commiserate during this period - you are not alone!

Big hugs xx

• Hi as and   have said, it is usual to be very tired post-treatment. I remember sleeping the clock round and then on other days having plenty of naps during the day. I found that after the first 3 weeks my energy picked up, but then I would do too much and this left me exhausted the next day. So, on days where you don't feel as tired, just remember you are still recovering and try not to overdo things.  After about 6 weeks, I felt quite restless and decided to paint all the doors in my house. It was good to have a project and it was something I could do in stages.   Don't feel beholden to other people, put yourself first and rest as much as you need to.  Hope all goes well. Bev x