Keep fighting

• 1 reply
  • 33 subscribers

Hi all, 

Ive not posted much on here throughout the last few months but often sit and read a lot. This forum has been an amazing help for me. Last week I was in a right flap as my post wouldn't post. I needed a vent and anxiety had well and truly kicked in.  Fri was my 1st  MDT after having my 1st scans since treatment for my 7cm tumour. I was diagnosed with T4 N1 M0. My outcome is complete regression, I'd asked if there were any stray cells etc but scans show nothing. What they did show is a fistula, and given the fact I've had a few cases of seeping diarrhea from back passage and my front (I have a stoma) I wasn't suprised. I'd kept my stoma nurse updated with the change as this came from nowhere after 7 mths of everything just coming out the stoma. So moving forward I'm having a scan my 1st surveillance scan in 6 mths (I thought it would be 3mths is this normal?) And in 4-6 weeksan EUA to look at the fistula. Until we know what's going on with that I can't have a reversal of stoma.

I just want you all to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, keep fighting. At times I never thought I'd get there, it would be easier to not be here and save the burden on my family. I've got an amazing outcome but I feel it will never leave me, mental health has suffered over the last 7 mths but I'll get there. I'm now worried about reoccurrence etc but I'm just telling myself to celebrate the news of complete regression and try to forget the what ifs. 

Everything is worth it and there is successful treatment  xxx

• Hi ,

That’s really great news. I think regardless of staging or how far out of treatment we are if we’re honest we all have these wobbles, I should imagine this is the aftermath of any cancer diagnosis & we have to make that conscious decision, as you’ve said in your post, to live in the moment & try not to constantly worry about what might happen in the future. 

Thank you so much for posting, many people I’m sure will relate. If at any time you feel as though you’re not coping don’t hesitate to give the Macmillan helpline a call or speak with your GP & ask to be referred to a cancer specific counsellor & of course we’re always here too. 

Nicola