First week done

• 5 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hi so first week of radiotherapy and chemo complete and generally feeling well and only a little tired. The only thing is a sore hip. Normally I. Wouldn’t think twice about general aches and pains but I lost my mother in law to lung cancer 3 years ago and she said she had a sore hip and it turned out cancer was in the bones. I know I am probably putting 2 and 2 together and getting 6 but can’t help worrying. Is sore joints and particularly hips a side effect of treatment? Dx

• Dougalandpoppy, 

What a coincidence that you mention the hip pain. I, too have had hip and upper leg pain. This is a new pain that I have been having for a couple of months. It is probably just the normal aches and pains of aging but it is very concerning. I haven’t started treatment yet, though. I guess this goes with the territory, always worrying about the cancer spreading. I’m sure another member will be able to answer your question about this being a side effect of the treatment. Good luck and I hope you get some answer.

• Hi  

Firstly congratulations on completing your first week of treatment, keep checking off those sessions on your schedule & you’ll soon be through the other side. I was amazed how quickly those weeks passed, it’s probably because your whole day Monday-Friday revolves around such a strict routine, hospital visits & timing your tablets etc. 

Achy hips - I had convinced myself the cancer had spread to my bones as my hips were so achy, I have a degree of osteoarthritis but suddenly after my diagnosis it was so much worse! I now know that metastasis to the bones from AC is pretty rare & it’s more than likely from treatment. It seems to be a common post treatment symptom. I had this discussion with my daughter just yesterday as 3 years post treatment I’m still very achy around my hips & although I think a degree of this is wear & tear I wonder how much is actual joint pain & how much is pain due to muscle stiffness as if I sit for any longer than a few minutes I’m so, so stiff & everything in the hip area seems to seize up straight away! The radiotherapy causes anal & vaginal stenosis so could it affect the other muscles in the pelvic area including around the hips & upper thighs? Who knows? Maybe a question for my oncologist in June! 

Anything you’re concerned about is mention at your next treatment appointment & I’m sure your treating team will be able to put your mind at rest. 

Nicola 

• Hi  I have had achy hips after treatment too. This can be a side effect of the radiotherapy but the treatment will also most likely push you into menopause if you’re not already there. One very common side effect of the menopause is achy joints. As Nicola has said, metastasis of anal cancer to the bones is rare. I would discuss this with your Oncologist to put your mind at rest. Bev. 

1in1500
  • Thanks guys reassuring to hear (kind of) I have been pretty good holding everything together for so long so it was only a Matter of time I would loose it and start worrying. I will mention to the team tomorrow. Thanks again

• Hi again ,

It’s the nature of this beast I’m afraid that it brings along a whole load of worries that we would never even have thought of prior to diagnosis! All rationale went out the window with me as soon as the word cancer was mentioned & a certain extent of that, I think, will always be there now. I’ve always been pretty ‘body aware’ and although not a hypochondriac I’m definitely quicker to get something checked out now than I would have been 3 years ago!

I would try not to worry too much about the achy hips though, so many of us had it during/after treatment & some like me still do, it could be something as simple as the radiotherapy kicking off some inflammation in that area, it’s powerful stuff. 

Nicola