pain and meds

• 4 replies
  • 34 subscribers

So after my general relief and excitement at the start of week 4, things don't seem to have moved along much.  I went for a 10 minute walk today, the first time I have been out since week 3 or 4 of treatment, and tonight, my skin is all lumpy again..... but what is worrying me is, i have decreased my zomorph, thinking that as I will be 6 weeks post treatment on Friday,  I need to start weaning myself off it, and the pain should have subsided. 

But I am still getting a gripping pain at the tumour site, and g to the toilet is more difficult and painful than when on treatment.  If this normal??   I don't think it can be?

Rosie

• Hi Rosie (),

Recovery as with treatment side effects is a little different for everyone & mine was definitely swings & roundabouts, I was off most pain medication, which was only paracetamol & ibuprofen quite quickly but found I had to jump back on to paracetamol every so often as the discomfort would return periodically. It’s also only now, 3 years on, that I can go to the loo almost pain free, I suspect mine is down to stenosis though. I also found things were more painful if I overdid things. If you do have some serious concerns & the pain is too much to bare I would definitely contact your treating team for some reassurance. 

Nicola

• Nikki, is there anything you can advise for itchy skin?  Mine is soo itchy I had to scratch it till sore so that I could sleep

• I took piriton for my itching & lathered myself with aqueous cream especially at nighttime. I also only ever wash the area with aqueous cream as anything else, even the mildest of shower gels, soaps etc., seem to irritate the new skin even now! Regarding antihistamines there are 2 kinds & I was told by a retired GP last year, regarding allergies not my itchy butt lol, there are 2 kinds, one like piriton contains chlorphenamine maleate & the other kind contains Cetirizine Dihydrochloride so if one doesn’t do the trick the other might. Worth a try. 

Nicola

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

I too use pyriton every day. If I forget to take it don't I know. Thankyou nikki for the tip on washing with aqueous cream. I've been trying to find a soap, wipes etc that don't sting and think that might just be the answer to my prayers for my poor sore but