When do you see an improvement

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 11 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Just wondering when you started noticing a difference in the size of your tumour. Mines on the outside and inside. Onto 4th week of treatment. I thought by now I'd see some kind of change, but all it seems to be doing at the minute is kicking off with more itching and pain, but no change in size. I'm just worried that it's not working. Thankyou 

• Hi  it’s really early days so I wouldn’t expect to see any change just yet. The radiotherapy continues to work for months after treatment. This is why there is a 3 month gap between the end of treatment and your first scan, there wouldn’t be any point in scanning any earlier Even after your first scan the radiotherapy continues to work. It’s not uncommon for there to be some residual tumour at the first scan which has then disappeared by the second scan ( usually at six months post treatment). Rest assured the treatment is really powerful & is effective at melting away sizeable tumours. The psychological side of all this is not easy is it, for me it was the hardest part, worse than the physical symptoms. Please try not to worry too much right now, the radiotherapy  does work it just needs some time to do so. Bev x

• Anyone whose lump was inside and outside can you be left with what feels like a lump on outside but the tumour has actually gone and whats left is the skin the tmour was under?.....if that makes sense lol Thanks Paul

• Hi  mine was inside and outside. I could still see the outside bit after treatment for quite a while, it then bright red  about 2 monthis after treatment and stayed that colour for months. My first 3 month scan was clear, the tumour had gone ( I’m still clear 20 months on) but the skin in that area is still discoloured. The tumour shrivels gradually and can be dead whilst there’s still a bit of a lump there if that makes sense. Bev. 

• Ps I think the skin will probably always discoloured in that area due to the blasting from the radiotherapy but it’s nothing to worry about. Bev 

• Thanks Bev very helpful yeah so what i thought was a pile and i could feel outside has definately gone way down but there is still a fleshy lump but when i feel it it feels a bit like thick double up skin so im not sure if tumour is still in there or not. So your saying you still had that "lump" at 3 month scan? Regards Paul

• Actually just re read and you felt the tumour could be dead but still a bit of a lump on outside.......thats what im hoping for.Thanks Paul

• Hi  at 3 months I had the angry red skin & where the tumour had been it still looked raised, it’s now flat but still discoloured skin. Yes, the tumour can be dead but a lump or swelling can remain for some time. Bev. 

• Thanks again for taking time to reply im so petrified that if that "lump" wasnt gone id fear the worst but i feel more at ease now knowing its not necessarly the tumour Regards Paul

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Patski2

Thankyou all. You all are very knowledgeable having gone through it yourselves. Thankyou so much 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Patski2.... mines like yours on the inside and outside with a dangle bit. That's why I just thought it was piles for a long time. Well we're here now all together with the best people to advise as they've wore the t-shirt. Good luck