Finished my treatment

• 55 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi everyone Wave . I am pleased to announce that yesterday I finished my treatments Pray I'm over the blinking moon. I didn't ring THE bell but I said I'd sneak in and swing on it like quasimodo when I get the 'all clear'. Although I've hit a major milestone and I am truly elated boy oh boy am I suffering! All of my 'undercarriage' feels like it's been ran over by a truck and then blow torched and was told yesterday that it will get much worse over the next 10 - 14 days! I'm now bedridden on morphine every 2 hours plus paracetamol, ibuprofen and flamazine mixed 50/50 with cathejell on the rare occasions that I am actually awake which is only to do my John Wayne walking impression to the loo followed by sounds of a tortured 1970s horror movie victim. My nurse told me that sleeping a lot isn't a bad thing but to put alarms into my phone so that I'm drinking and eating as I get very dehydrated. I was given polymem dressings for my groin area (knicker elastic area) but I can't remember if I put the cream on first (morphine brain). Does anyone here have asthma and did the treatment make it worse? Today I am going to try and stay awake long enough to read some of my detective book, it's about a serial killer so that should cheer me up lol. Xxx

• Thank you Nicola Heartbeatxxx

• Hi Nicola,

Thank you once again for your kind words, they really did help cheer me up but now I've run into another snag, or rather the same old one that keeps on recurring! All I've eaten today is a small piece of lamb, 2 small, very dry roast potatoes and a couple of carrot slices, followed by 2 mouthfuls of chocolate fudge cake! Suddenly I've had to run to empty my stoma pouch, full to bursting because of diarrhoea! I'm at my wit's end, I've taken a couple of tablets which will hopefully stop it but I only have 2 left! I just don't know what to do! I know I'll have to phone the stoma nurse on Tuesday but why the heck is this keep on happening? Sorry Nicola, I keep asking questions it's impossible for you to answer! If it gets any worse I can always phone the hospital!

Love Moira xx

• Hi again Moira (),

Fortunatly I didn’t have to go down the stoma route  although sometimes especially after treatment had ended & I was sat in the loo for such a long time trying to pass what I needed to pass through a space that had been radiated to within an inch of its life & internally things were so inflamed I sometimes think it wouldn’t have been a bad thing! I remember one particular Sunday morning I was literally in the loo for 3 hours passing what can only be described as peanuts with a side of excruciating pain!!… Anyway back to your stoma situation, as you  know only too well by now diarrhoea is an all too common side effect of this treatment with the bowel taking the fallout of the radiation & I imagine your stoma is no different to your bottom, it’s the outlet for said diarrhoea! therefore my opinion is you’re doing everything right by taking anti-diarrhoea meds to combat this. Do you have someone that could pop out to grab you some more loperamide from somewhere today? If you have an Asda close by their pharmacy will be open today.… I know that good nutrition is important especially when your body is going through so much & is going to be beginning the healing process so if your really struggling with solid food at the minute I would enquire with your nurse/Dr’s about meal replacement shakes, I know they’re not ideal or the same as eating lovely food but you’ll then be getting your essential nutrients without forcing down solid food when you really have no appetite for it, it’s also important that you stay hydrated so try & drink plenty of water.… Since treatment my stomach & bowel reacts differently to certain foods & drinks that I was ok with beforehand, I don’t do well with processed foods, eggs, nuts, sugar of any kind & I try to limit starchy carbs such as bread, pasta etc., I can’t drink alcohol the way I used to it’s just the odd glass now & then now but I suspect it’s the sugar again, with any of these foods I end up with terrible, uncomfortable bloating & dreadful wind!!

Once you’re over these next couple of weeks hopefully things will settle a bit & your body will settle into what will be a new routine (toilet wise), I would advise keeping a food diary too keeping a list of foods eaten & any negative reactions that way you’ll soon be able to pin down any food triggers that cause you issues.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help, let me know what your stoma nurse says when you get to speak to her I’d be interested in her advice as I say my knowledge on stoma care is limited. 

Nicola

• Hi again Nicola,

Your help has been invaluable and I've started making a food diary! At least that way I'll be able to avoid certain foods or cut them down, any way! I had no further incidents overnight but I've woken with stomach ache, which doesn't bode well! I've actually eaten a boiled egg on dry roast so surely SOME of it might stay inside! I thought it would be the Capecitabine that would cause diarrhoea but it seems like it's the Radiotherapy that's doing it! I should have read up about the treatment in advance but I've buried my head in the sand, I'm afraid!

My husband is on his way to Asda now, 7 miles, on public transport, but he says it'll be worth it! He's going to get me some food supplements while he's there!

Thank you again Nicola, you've given me some good ideas but mainly just being 'there' helps, enormously! I'll let you know what the stoma nurse says,

Love Moira x

• Hi Moira (),

You're not alone in not wanting to know the total ins & outs of everything, it’s our brains going into self preservation mode I think, I’m totally the opposite (information is key kinda gal!) & that also has its downsides, I was expecting the worst of the worst as I’d done so much reading on the chemoradiotherapy, my worries became too much & I spoke to my oncologist about the side effects of the treatment & he reassured me a little & continued to so at each weekly clinic throughout my treatment, I’m blessed to have such a compassionate oncologist. 

As far as I’m aware it is the radiotherapy that can irritate the bowel & digestive tract, which obviously then causes the diarrhoea & digestion issues. 

Bless your husband. Hopefully the nutritional supplements will help when you don’t feel like eating & pretty much it’s trial & error with the anti-diarrhoea meds, you’ll hopefully soon find what works for you, you may start recognising a pattern with your food diary & BM’s. 

Thank you for your kind words & I hope you’re feeling a little better soon.

Nicola 

• Hi Everyone,

Well its done, finished, hallelujah! Or so I thought! 7-50am, first time I've had a lie in for months, the phone rings, my lift for the hospital is outside! That's the first thing! Then I look at the new creams and the first one, Flamazine, says to be put on by a doctor or nurse! So, in my wisdom, I decided to phone District Nurse office, only admin there, but she kindly sent the Rapid Response Nurse out! She's taken a swab because it seems infected! Now I'm waiting for a District Nurse to phone or visit! Do here I lie, in agony, can't even pee because it hurts to much! Any tips? I don't know whether to put all the creams on in turn or different days or mix the whole lot together and put a cherry on top!

How are you, Marie, any less sore? I thought the long Easter weekend would help but it didn't for me! Only Nicola and the rest of these lovely people are helping! Oh well, 2 or 3 weeks and we'll be over the worst! It's being so cheerful that keeps me going! 

Love, Moira Pray. Three

• Hi Moira (),

Firstly huge congratulations on getting through your treatment!! Secondly I’m sorry you’re suffering at the minute, I was also given Flamazine after my last radiotherapy session but was just told to use it as & when I needed to no mention of having it administered by a Dr or nurse, I slathered it on at any opportunity although found it was a bit stingy so mixed it with a little QV cream. Hopefully your swab results will come back quickly so if you need any other meds then you can get them soon. If you’re struggling going for a pee my best advice would be to pee in water, if you have a portable bidet fill it & go in that, if not use the shower or a bit of water in the bath maybe? I know it’s a faff on for a pee but if it eases the pain then it has to be done, I suffered radiation cystitis & kept a jug of water by the loo to pour over myself while I peed, oh the joys eh? I know it’s not much comfort at the minute but I’m sure you’ll see much improvement over the next couple of weeks so hold tight, you’ll get there, 

Nicola 

• Hey Moira. 
    Aww I remember that feeling so well it's the worst you just want to wee without crying.  It will all be worth it when you get that all clear. I am nearly one year post treatment.   Have you tried Sitz baths. They were my saviour and they really helped the sore under carriage and we're my saving grace.  Take care and keep your eye on the prize xxxxx

• Hi my dear, I've been through the mill too. I've had to phone the hospital for help and advice and then there was my bleed and visit to A&E!! But unfortunately every hellish moment is normal and we can only rely on our lotions and potions to make our moment in time bearable. I have good news though drrrrrrruuuuum rooollllll .... the skin (knicker elastic area) is healing and has formed a new layer Clap ClapClapClapI'm still having to go 'commando' as the 'girly bits' are excruciatingly painful but the Moulin rouge has put me on the extended furlough scheme as health and safety had concerns about the can can and lack of correct undergarments RoflRofl something to do with damage to the eyes!!!! All my meds I administer myself including the flamazine cream I can't fathom why it would need someone else. Anyway hang on in there, we'll be flashing our garters before we know it Heartbeatxxxx

• I LOVE this site, I absolutely LOVE IT! No matter how down  I am,  someone is always guaranteed to make me feel better!  So glad The Moulin Rouge is being so understanding!

I'm currently peeing in the bath, you are so right Nicola, a right faff but oh so worth it! The Flamazine cream is helping too but it says only apply once a day!  I'm using that on a morning and then Flami-Gel the rest of the day! The dead skin is just rolling off!

I seem more emotional since treatment ended, is this normal or just me? But hey, what's normal anymore? Thank you all, you wonderful people, you're all heroes!

Love Moira.   Three