Getting there

• 5 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hi everyone. I've now finished my 20th day of treatment so just 8 to go! I've had a few problems with side effects this week with ulcers on my tonsils and Kentucky fried girly bits (ouch) I'm overrun with lotions and potions but everyone is looking after me and giving me lots of things to try to sort me out! I've bought some joggers and ladies boxer shorts to make 'things' a bit more comfortable. Not my usual attire but I might give it a bit of attitude and plonk a cap on my head backwards whilst sporting my proper lady pearl earrings. I needed some morphine the other day and had 2 unexpected Union Jack flags delivered in post this morning!! Although it's not as bad as the witchcraft stuff I spent a fortune on after a thyroidectomy Haha. I was sorry to see that some of us are not coping as well as they would like but I have been inspired by the support and advice given by experienced members of the group. This week has taken its toll I have to admit and I have shed a couple of tears but I have my up days too xxx

• Hi Im only 2 weeks in and already ive nearly been caught short a couple of times which i was hoping wouldnt start til later on whats the best thing to do just eat a bland diet? Any advice welcome. Regards Paul

• Hi Patski2,  I've gone from one to the other through my treatment! When I'm constipated I use laxido and when I'm the other way I have diarrhoea tablets which my nurse has given me. Tell your nurse or Radiotherapy team and they will definitely make things better for you mine have for me. As for diet, both the chemotherapy and radiotherapy mess my appetite about terribly and so my team have told me to just eat anything I fancy which is what I do otherwise I'd find it very difficult and certain things that I loved can make me feel nauseous just thinking about them. Never be worried to ask for help at your hospital treatments they expect you to have side effects and they will do everything possible to alleviate them

Xxx

• Thanks for reply and the good advice ..oh the joys....i wish you good luck and all the best for the rest of your treatment Regards Paul

• Hi Paul, yes that run up the stairs with your legs crossed can be very awkward. I put a towel in the bed, I used womens panty pads in the daytime, because I usually managed to only have a small spoonful escape, thank goodness. I have had it from before I started treatment, so .... it's annoying.

I found it does not matter what I eat but I have cut out beans and broccoli and cabbage for now.

Good luck, hey it's better than constipation.

Sarah.

• Hi  Paul

I’ve still not worked out best diet so just eating what I fancy but have cut out caffeine. Definitely ask at hospital for help- I was given “Normacol “ definitely helped get me to be more “normal” and continued after treatment too. Pads as Nikki says and I also would have been without my portable bidet bottle. Bottle with spray spout on, helps wash everything and the flushable wipes! Good luck!! 
    Ruth