Bleeding - Sigmoidoscopy

• 2 replies
  • 34 subscribers
  1. Hello, I’m back, moaning and groaning about my fu****g bum and bowels. I hate to have to resort to this group, but know that you’re literally the best support I’ve had over the last couple of years!  Love you all for that, I mean it.

So, I’m experiencing a lot of dark blood in my stool.  Went for a check up (normal one post radio/chemo) and the surgeon said that there’s a lot of blood. 

Been referred for a sigmoidoscopy???? But the meeting I have Tuesday is just a consultation?  Is this normal? Will I still need the camera up the you know what? Does it hurt?

I am very confused and could really do with some of your advice please xxxx

• Hi good to hear from you!  Yes we all like a good moan about our nether regions, nothing wrong with that! I would imagine that after your consultation where you will just be asked for information,  you will be booked in for a sigmoidoscopy.  Are you able to take a friend or relative with you to your appointment?  I know it's different due to Covid but if you call the hospital beforehand you should be able to take someone with you for support.  As I understand it, a sigmoidoscopy   is not as invasive as a colonoscopy. Bev 

• Hi ,

It’s good to hear from you although I’m sorry you’re still experiencing some issues!

I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy at the same time as my biopsy (pre-diagnosis) but because I was supposed to be having something else done I had a general anaesthetic, so unfortunately I couldn’t tell you how uncomfortable it was, although my surgeon said they’re usually done with sedation. As Bev has said a sigmoidoscopy is less invasive than a colonoscopy, a sigmoidoscopy only checks the sigmoid colon which is just the lower part of the colon opposed to a colonoscopy which can check much further along the intestines. Hopefully they’ll get you in quickly & sorted. How’s everything else going? well I hope. 

Nicola