wet wipes and pain killers

• 4 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi ladies

I was wondering what kind of wet wipes you used?  I have so far been using Huggies, only because there was some of my grandson's here.  They say they are 99% water.

Only 3 days into treatment and I have been struggling already with pain and discomfort.  My pain was worsening before treatment started, and already, the tumour pain seems to be spreading to the right, I have some sharp pain at the top of my bottom where the tumour is spreading left, and some stinging in other parts.  I have taken morphine tonight, and the pain has eased for the first time for a while, but morphine tends to give me a really bad headache.  I wasn't really expecting to get any symptoms yet for a good while, and have already started using the flamigel I was given, so I was surprised last night when I had some stinging already.  My consultant says my tumour, now 6 cm will be particularly painful as it is in the superficial skin, where there are lots of nerve endings, hence the terror.  

Those of you that managed your pain with paracetamol and ibruprofen, did you take lansoprazole to cover your stomach and protect it from the ibruprofen?

Rosie

• Hi Rosie (),

I’m sorry you’re in so much pain. 

Wet wipes… I only ever used Water Wipes, these can be found alongside the other baby wipes in most supermarkets, they were the only thing that didn’t sting as they are 99% water, no fragrance etc.

Pain relief… I got through treatment on alternating paracetamol & ibuprofen 2 hourly when needed as any of the opiate based pain killers caused me awful constipation. I can’t usually take ibuprofen as it seriously irritates my stomach but my Dr prescribed lansoprazole & that resolved I would say 99% of my stomach issues. I would take the lansoprazole first thing in the morning just incase I needed ibuprofen throughout the day. 

I hope that helps a little. Good luck with next week’s treatment & just let your radiotherapy/oncology team know if you’re in pain & any side effects you suffer from anything they prescribe i.e., the morphine headaches as they’ll be able to offer an alternative I’m sure, they won’t want you in pain, they’ll want to get you through this as comfortably as possible. 

Nicola 

• Thanks Nicola, i will try Lansoprazole

• Hi Rosie

Poor you! Let’s hope you can find things to help you. I started with Paracetamol and Codeine then later changed the codeine to ibrofoben. I don’t think I had any side effects. The gel which helped my bum pain best was Morphine In Intrasite. Plus I used Medihoney both prescribed and Normacol to help bowel movement was not too loose or opposite! 
    Wipes I used Sainsbury’s super sensitive and Andrex washlets. But best when painful was the portable bidet bottle with a spray nozzle. Warm water! I also took Dead Sea salt baths until the end when sores became open. 
    My tumour was 7cms but no idea of it position or whether it impacted in the pain. Do you have a nice cushion to sit on? That was essential for me, took it everywhere!! 
    Thinking of you, stay strong, be brave and be positive. You will be through it before you know. Hope you get comfortable soon 

Ruth 

• Thanks Ruth, will look out for one of those bottles, and ask about the morphine in intrasite and other meds you mention xx