Low platelets and red blood cells

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Just want to ask if anyone with AML suffers with tingling in the feet. My husband, who is 74 could not sleep last night and said he felt like his feet were in a vice and that things were crawling over him. He had to have a transfusion of platelets and two units of red blood today and is feeling better now. I just felt so helpless and felt so sorry for him as he was in a lot of discomfort. Does anyone know of anything to help this. He is having platelets and red blood twice a week and finished the third round of azacitidine last week. I don't think the treatment is doing much good but his consultant says we need to have six cycles to see if its working.

Vivi

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Vivi,

While I was going through chemotherapy I did have tingling feet and lips. My mom said she had tingly fingers when she went through it too.

• Hi Vivi,

I suffer quite badly with my feet since having intensive chemo and now the Aza injections. Even in this heat my feet can feel like blocks of ice and totally numb OR they feel really tingly and uncomfortable tight. 

Gentle foot massaging helps, the relief doesn’t last long but it keeps the stimulation going in the nerve endings and from my point of view makes my brain remember I still have my tippy toes attached. 

‘Another trick is stand on a cold surface, then on carpet and wiggle/stretch your toes. I don’t know why it works but it stops the tingling.

My consultant said that the nerve endings in our feet and hands can be damaged during chemo, if we’re  lucky they will repair themselves but unfortunately for some it never completely goes. 

I hope these work for your husband 

KEEP SMILING

Kerrie J

• Hi Kerrie & Vivi, I searched 'nerve damage' and your comments have popped up here & there. I know its a good few years ago and don't know if you will see this. My OH is 2 months into AML journey. He has numb cold heavy left leg which DR's seem a little baffled about... but looking on here it seems its fairly common. Which is a relief. Would really like to know how you both are now and did the numbess ever go? x x thanks so much in advance x x x