Failed non intensive chemo, feeling lost and scared

• 4 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi everyone.

Please bear with me whilst I write this. I’m struggling for words. My mum is 65 and was poorly since July, she has Pneumonia and sepsis, repeat infections and was diagnosed with AML in august. We were told she has a strain that responds well to chemo. She has had 2 rounds of non intensive chemo due to her age. It successfully cleared AML in blood but it’s still in the bone. Today we were told it’s not successful. My mums only option is a consultation in Bart’s hospital in London on Monday to discuss intensive options (she may be suitable as she is stronger now than before). 

im in complete shock. My mum has been getting better day by day. She has been doing stairs, walking, and feeling so much better so it was a kick in the face when her consultant said the treatment isn’t working. She is still doing well. Feeling healthy and good within herself.

last week, I lost my dad to an aggressive cancer. His funeral is Tuesday and on Monday I find out whether there is more treatment for my mum. I’m completely broken. 

im not entirely sure what I’m asking. I suppose are there other treatments instead of intensive chemo? Her last treatment was ventolax and injections which part worked. Is there anyone else 65+ who has had intensive chemo? I just can’t loose my mum. I haven’t even buried my dad yet 

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I am so sorry to hear about your dad - my sincere condolences to you all…… abd combined with the journey your mum is on it’s a very challenging time for you.

I don’t have Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of the blood cancer journey rather well.

It’s good that your mum is being seen at Bart’s so let’s look for this meeting to present some positive options to move this in the right direction.

Let’s look for group members who have some similar experiences to pick up on your post and get back to you.

Obviously as my blood cancer is different my treatment journey was also different. But back in late 2013 when my condition became aggressive I was put on a donor Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) pathway and there are a few group members who have walk the same path.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provide cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Always around to help more or just to chat ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello

I just wanted to say that I hear you. I understand the feeling of devastation you mention for diffère reasons. I wish you both well. B

• Thanks Mike. Your story is warming. I’m hoping for a good outcome