Severe joint pain

• 4 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hello. Just looking to see if anyone experienced this or knows what it might be.

My partner is currently in hospital undergoing treatment for acute promyelocytic leukemia (APML). His initial problems were mostly migraines and nausea but they seem to have gotten on top of that. Yesterday though he started to get joint pain in his arms and legs which has culminated in very severe pain in his right leg/knee. They don't know what it is and have just been trying to do pain management. He hasn't slept and is very down. He doesn't usually complain about pain, so it's worrying.

I thought maybe it was just a side effect of chemo, but the nurses seem surprised by it and don't have any answers at this stage.

At this point in his treatment, they're looking out for differentiation syndrome caused by the tretinoin (ATRA). I'm very worried about him getting that, his white blood cells have been elevated.

Has anyone else experienced this, or knows what it could be from? I know I need to wait to hear from the doctors, but I just want to know what sorts of complications it could be indicative of.

• Hi Blitz, I was leaving your post to see if you got any answers but no takers. One of the causes of joint pain in blood cancer patients is when having G-CSF Injections used to wake up our bone marrow.

I do hope he is doing ok ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• That's ok, thanks Mike.

They've done an x-ray and ultrasound and have said it's nothing serious. Just a bit of swelling but not a bleed. He's doing better with the pain management side and has managed to get some sleep.

The doctors also said today they're happy with how he's tracking and if it keeps progressing like this they'll look to discharge him in two weeks. It feels close.

Thanks again for being there.

Lauren.

• Hi Lauren, this sound positive news and although two weeks is such a long time it’s still good news, as in blood cancers there tends not to be any quick fixes.

We always worked on the thought that if my medical team were happy we were delighted.

The majority of people struggle to u sets tabs the concept of a blood cancer as most folks think the if you get cancer you can ‘cut it out’ then blast it with chemo and/or radiotherapy….. blood cancers is tactically battle doing the correct thing at just the right time and being able to fire as they come along.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi there, I notice your post is 7 months ago. I have just recently joined the forum as my husband has apml too.  I hope your partner has nearly completed his treatment and is on the road to recovery. Mine had an induction of six weeks. Lots of problems in that time and just started the Atra/arsenic as an outpatient. He has sore joints too and has had gout twice now (swelling of the joints), I hope they got to the bottom of your partners pain and it didnt last too long  . take care