AML diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 8 subscribers

My mother in law was diagnosed with AML at the beginning of October. She has always been active and bursting with energy. Over the last month or so she has been unable to eat due to feeling sick all the time. She has been given tablets to help with the sickness but still cannot stomach food. All she is managing to eat is half a banana for breakfast. Anything she tries to eat makes her feel so unwell and goes straight through her. She is having transfusions fortnightly. They usually give her 2 units of blood but this always makes her unwell for a few days after. We have asked if they can give her just one unit but have been given different answers from different professionals. She cannot climb the stairs at the moment as this makes her feel weak and like she will faint. It’s heartbreaking seeing her like this. When she was diagnosed, we were told that it is aggressive and she could have anything between a few months and a year. She is afraid that she is going to be on her own when she dies. Because of covid, we don’t really have any contact with anyone we can ask for help and advice. Is her being unable to eat a sign that things are progressing? She is also constantly thirsty and nothing quenches her thirst. This is very unusual for her as she has never drunk a lot in all the years I’ve known her. I know we can’t change her prognosis, but I would like to be able to help her or at least be prepared and know when things are progressing and what we can do. Thank you in advance

• Hi , I am dropping in past from one of our other blood cancer groups just to give you some support.

It is hard to navigate the support of a family member when a blood cancer condition becomes aggressive and has a significant effect on quality of life.

You may find it helpful talking with others caring for family so you may want join our checkout our Carers only and supporting someone with incurable cancer groupas you will connect with others walking the same journey supporting family through their cancer journey, just copy and paste the text from this first post and set up a post in the above groups.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information and support or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thank you, have posted in those forums