infection complication

• 4 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hello,

My partner (63) was diagnosed with AML early January and after 4 rounds of chemo and a stem cell transplant, has now been home for 7 weeks.

We were advised about the GvHd, which would last about 3/4 weeks.

Soon after being discharged, my parner did start to feel pretty rough, mainly nausea, vomitting and diarrhea.

Although the vomitting has eased, other symptoms persist and about 10 days ago he has had endoscopy, which found that he has c difficilli, which was picked up in hospital, so I assume he has had this all the time.

He hasn't eaten for a week and drinks some, has been prescribed antibiotics and steroids, but I can't help thinking it is a bit late, he has lost a lot of weight and is quiet weak. I am considering getting him into hospital despite Covid, to get him in better condition to fight infection off.

I am also wondering how the GvHd has gone, because we were told that this disease is a good sign of graft taking place.

Has anyone else had infections to cope with during this recovery time?

Thanks. 

• Hi , I am dropping in past from our Stem cell transplant group and having been through two Allo SCTs (June 2014 and Oct 2015) for NHL I totally get this.

Recovery for some can be long, very long. You can hit my community name to see my long story 

Yes some GvHD is indeed a good sign of a positive graft but can be unpleasant.

Infection is part of the 'left overs' and for me, I had infections with hospital stays during the three winters following my second SCT....... but I am now coming up to 4 years in remission and doing great.

I did not eat that well for about 4 months after my second SCT, it can be a hard recovery but you take each day as it comes.

You may want to have a look at this long discussion Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide in the SCT Group as we have e collected out post treatment stories an you can join the group and put up your very own questions.

I will look out for you in the SCT Group.

Mike ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Irma,

As Mike has said the recovery from a SCT is a long journey and things will pop up along it. 
    I picked up C-Diff at the start of my second round of chemo for AML and it was possibly the hardest part of my treatment. I stopped eating and I struggled to get enough fluids in my body to counteract the diarrhoea.

Talk to your team to see if being in hospital and getting IV fluids and hospital treatment  will be a good thing for him. 

GvHD is a good sign but it needs to be managed and discussed, I’m just coming up to two years post transplant and still dealing with the odd flare up.

As Mike said there is also the SCT group and it’s more active than the AML group.

Send my best to your husband and good luck to you looking after him. I certainly would not be here today without the love and care of my partner.

jake 

• Thanks for reply Mike, I am going to have a look at the SCT group.

Irma 

• Thank you for reply Jake, 

My partner did go into hospital yesterday for intravenous antibiotics and fluids, hopefully it will give him a boost.

I will look at SCT group too.

Irma