Shielding Extended

• 5 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi my husband is continuing shielding, although restrictions have been lifted slightly, don’t want to put him at risk by going amongst others. Even though we’d still stick with Government Guidelines in regards to social distancing etc.

Got used to only going out shopping as I wore a mask and gloves. Although there’s social distancing I’ll still be wearing my mask.  

When I’ve been out shopping a lot of people haven’t been seen to wear masks and this was from the outset.  What do you all think?  Also we decided not to send our child to school until Shielding had ended (no places at school left now) but now they’ve extended it.  

• Hi again good to hear from you.

Yes, with the gradual removal of the Shielding Guidelines there will come a day when the word Shielding will not be used and then what.

Like every virus outbreak over the years once the infection risk has come down life tends to slowly go back to some normality...... but the virus is still around - this will be the case with COVID for a while...... and then it will change just like the flu does ever year.

Following my Stem Cell Transplant my immune system was 0 so a slight infection could have put me in ICU. But once my immune system recovered we did go out and about just being careful keeping an eye on who and where we went.

I had been basically shielding for 100 days but over the last few weeks we have had trips out and about, seeing family at a safe distance but not shops.

Even now, 4 3/4 years post SCT treatment I’m at great risk from measles, mumps and rubella as I can’t have the MMR re-vaccination but that has not stopped me living.

I talked with my team last week and their advice was, over the next few months to slowly reintroduced myself back to life but keep away from crowds, don’t go on public transport and mask up when needed.

There is a point where life has to kick back in but very slowly.

The next challenge will be the winter bugs as there will most likely be challenges rolling out this years flu vaccines.

You do need to be guided by his team and not just by the blanket removal of guidelines ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Princess C I am also in remission like your husband, since March 2020, and am shielding.

I think it will be a good idea to ask your husband’s team on his risk. I am in Scotland, and when I asked my consultant he said all Haematology patients who have had treatments in the last 5 years are automatically on the shielding list. However, there are individual risks involved depending on age, type of AML, treatment, blood count recovery etc. Then you might want to assess things like your ability to get food/ medicine and the like, should you come off the shielding list. 

As to school, I also have a child meant to due back to primary school in August. I am undecided at the moment. We are expecting more advice at the end of July and I am hoping for more information on children living with shielding parent/ sibling.

• Hi lydr 

We believe God for a miracle and so it was.   Good that you are in remission. 

Thank you.   

Re.  school yes it’s a difficult one as long as there’s not a peak in COVID-19 cases.  In England rules are more relaxed.   In school they’ve put children in their groups within a classroom and keeping social distancing rules.   There’s one city, Leicester where they’ve had a spike in cases, so they’ve had to go back to stage 1; ie all schools there are closing tomorrow, nothing open there.  They will be in lockdown. 

• Hi again Mike!   Thank you. 

Will be glad when that word Shielding goes.  

Thank God that your immune system recovered after SCT; and that you are getting on with your life.   Just wanted to ask as I know treatments take a toll on your system and makes you feel tired etc. My husband found it hard to get back into the way of life but not doing too bad lately, this is from 2017.   After shielding finally goes we’ll see.  

Yes I need to ask his Team as even though he received a general letter re.  update re. shielding; I’m not too sure also in regards to crowds.  

• Hi again and yes, we thank God every day for bringing us both though the past 21 years mentally and physically whole.

I was talking with my Heamatology Nurse Consultant last week and she was saying that up with us (Scotland) a team of Haematologists and other health professionals are working on a group system A to D for taking (downgrading) people out of lockdown/shielding based on where folks are in their cancer journey and other unrelated clinical needs. So downgrading the less vulnerable first etc... so only time will tell.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge