Husband recently diagnosed with AML via MDS

• 14 replies
  • 8 subscribers

My husband (aged73) had become increasingly tired and he put it down to too many candles on his birthday cake.  I asked him to mention it to the doctor when he went for his annual cholesterol blood test and were staggered when the GP phoned to say he needed to see a haematologist because his blood count was low.  The haematologist said it might have been a rogue result and they would watch and wait for three months, testing each month.   After two months he was sent for a bone marrow biopsy which eventually confirmed he had MDS with 18% blasts.  Because of the percentage they decided to do another bone marrow biopsy one month later and we were told it had already transformed into AML with blasts ‘between 22 and 30%.  Having never heard of MDS we were catapulted on this roller coaster of booklets to read, discussions to have etc etc my husband was told that he would not be eligible for either a transplant or suitable for the intensive chemo.  They suggested he start on Azacitidine.  There was a two week delay in starting the treatment due to administrative problems and by this time my poor husband had deteriorated and was sleeping more and more during the day. Once the first cycle began he became very weak. He did not want to eat or drink and it was increasingly difficult to persuade him to do so. However he made it through and had day six of the seven injections but on the last day of the cycle he had a TIA on the way to the hospital so they didn’t do the last injections.  Gradually the side effects of the Azacitidine wore off but he still did not want to eat or drink much.  By the start of the second cycle he was understandably losing weight so he was put on a low dose 2mg of steroids.  The difference was immediate... straight after the first tablet and now he is eating for England.  Trouble is he is so very thirsty all the time and can’t stop drinking... more than 4 litres yesterday and consequently up loads of times in the night for the loo!   He is more awake now and potters about a bit more but I am concerned about the raging thirst.   We have only three steroids left as the original course ended and he was given four more pills to take on alternate days and then that’s it. Does anyone know what happens next? Will he revert to sleeping 20/24 and not eating or drinking again?  If the steroids increased his appetite (which is surely a good thing) why not leave him on them?  Sorry this is such a rambling post... but you will understand that the little grey cells have been working overtime these last few months. 

Thank you for being out there. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

dear I am sorry to hear of your husbands diagnosis. Are the steroids your husband has been taking dexamethasone, there is some evidence that dexamethasone can raise blood sugar levels and subsequently cause thirst. You need to raise this issue with the nurses at your hemotology clinic first thing Monday morning. Steroids can stimulate appetite and mental alertness and are widely used in the world of blood cancer along side other therapies.

• Yes... that’s the one.. he was prescribed them for five days only... 2 mg.   after the first tablet his appetite increased no end but it was his thirst that bothered me. I mentioned it at the oncology unit where he was having the Azacitidine injections but they didn’t seem concerned.  Then he asked them to extend the prescription so he would be on them for Christmas... he was hoping to enjoy his Christmas lunch.  They gave us four pills and told me to give him one every other day... which will take us to Thursday.   This morning he is very very pale and not steady on his feet.  He has blood tests tomorrow morning so I can phone in the afternoon and see what the results say then.  

Thank you for responding. 

• Hi and a second welcome to the Community and I am so sorry to hear about your husband.

Although I have a different type of blood cancer some of the issues he is facing are very familiar to me and my wife during my treatment journey.

Having had 2 Stem Cell Transplant with cells from my brother so I now  help out in our Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) group.

Over the years we have had a few folks who have been through SCT who are in their 70 so 73 is not actually old for Stem Cell Transplant but if he has other medical conditions he would most likely not pass the extensive pre SCT tests as the chemo can be very very strong.

Let’s look for his team to move this is a positive direction.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to sandybarn

Dear, as you are going for bloods tests you could ask them to do a simple blood sugar pin prick test just to rule it out as a cause of the thirst. Either way it something that needs addressing if it is a cause of discomfort. Let us know how you get on.

• Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I will speak to the team tomorrow because as well as a raging thirst and insatiable appetite I have just weighed him and he has lost nearly three kilos in three days..... so you can imagine how concerned I am.   

• Monday morning early I developed a bout of Noro virus which is rife on the island at the moment and so I am in lock down and my lovely daughter has taken her dad for his blood tests.  We phoned the Oncology unit and were told to take him to A and E ... there they discovered his glucose was way over 200... so they sent him to oncology where the diabetes doctor came to see him.  Years ago my husband was describing as pre diabetic so he gave up sugar and they said he was fine.  Now it would appear that the steroids have triggered the diabetes. He now has to prick his finger four times a day and we watch and wait.... he is severely neutropenic so already has a list of things he can’t eat and now he is diabetic..... he is very fed up!  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to sandybarn

Dear it seems my suspicions about the steroids being involved were valid. I’m glad the issue is finally being addressed, it just goes to show that you should never suffer in silence as doctors don’t always know about some of the side effects of the drugs they prescribe. I sympathise with his frustration as this is an added extra he doesn’t need on top of being neutropenic, but hang on in there, cancer treatment is a rollercoaster ride and though you are in a dip at the moment you will rise again.

• Good morning , he is in the best place at the moment. His team needs to find the best way forward in all this, thus made me reflect back 6 years ago when I was starting my main chemo and it looked like I would be in Hospital fir Christmas but my team worked their magic and I was home for Christmas.

Take care of yourself, the Noro virus and your husband being neutropenic and not eating is very difficult - let’s look for the corner to run on this all and get moved forward ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you all for your advice and support..  they didn’t keep him in hospital... he hasn’t had to stay in at all yet.  They sent him home.  My daughter is taking him back down now for a blood transfusion.  He has had one before but it made not one jot of difference... so we are hoping for a boost this time that will see him over Christmas.  In the meantime I am feeling better but still keeping out of the way... Noro virus is not something you would wish on anyone.   Especially if they are dealing with AML...   

• Good that he got home, it often takes a few units of the red stuff to make a difference so let’s look for this to do the job.

Fillowing my second SCT I developed the RSV virus - resulted in a week in isolation - great fun.

You mentioned being on an Island- where are you?...if you don’t mind me asking

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge