20 years+ Post cancer

• 1 reply
  • 5 subscribers

It’s really hard for me to chat so openly about this as i feel guilty and a little selfish to even be questioning things after treatment literally saved my life so please be gentle if you choose to reply! I am truly truly grateful and always will be. 
Diagnosed with ALL when I was four and a half, after going through many rounds of chemo and relapsing twice I finally received a life saving bone marrow transplant when I was 10 and very thankfully have been cancer free for over 20 years now. 
I am reaching out today to see if there is any groups of people, mainly females who have maybe experienced something similar to me who can offer any advice or just support. 
From quite a young age I have understood that the chances of me being able to have children was pretty much not going to happen, my body had been through so much chemo and full body radiation so, as hard as it is I have excepted that and have an amazing partner who has a little boy who I see as my own. However what I am and have been struggling with over the past years a range of other health issues. After discussions with my doctor it is thought that many of these are due to the treatment I received as a child. I have developed type 2 diabetes which I am currently still in the process of trying to manage with insulin and medication. I am currently trying to get some answers surrounding my hormones. I’m constantly up and down in mood, always hot and bothered, have trouble sleeping and have a really low sex drive which then makes me feel even worse. I jokingly said to my GP “I feel like I’m going through early menapause” and he kind of was like “well..” so please if there is anyone out there with any comforting words or advice please reply. Again I don’t want to come across as ungrateful .. I’m just really struggling at the moment. 

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the community but sorry to read about your journey…… you have indeed been dealt a bad hand.

I have had 2 Stem Cell Transplants (for a different type of blood cancer) but had them when I was 59 then 60 so I just can’t imagine your transplant journey at such a young age.

I can’t bring any experience to the table that can help your specific questions but let’s look for any group members to pick up on your post.

You may also want to know ok at the communities general Life after Cancer Group as you may connect with someone with experience.

Do also check out Leukaemia Care UK as they run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme, they also have a Support Line on 08088 010 444

You may also want to check to see if you have a Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing and most centres do run monthly Heamatology Support Groups.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge