Recomendations for 5 day trip to Italy in September

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Male aged 66 had a " Right Hemi-Colectomy" end of Feb, surgeon rang me last week to tell me operation 100% everything taken out and very very unlikely to come back again,  I just have to go for Blood Test and Scans every 6 month.

Daughter getting married end of Sept in Italy (Perugia) so I need travel insurance for 5 days, Can anyone tell me a good firm that is Easy to deal with reasonably priced and does not rip you off. (travel insurance who I normally book with quoted me £146 which I think is way too much.)

I feel fantastic now getting back up to 2 miles a day walking, so no probs with my fitness.

So if any body has a good company they can recommend I be grateful.

many thanks

gingermick

• Hi, first make sure your medical records are marked fit to travel, without that any cover could be invalid. As for trying to get reasonably priced insurance based on my experience good luck, the price for my normal cover is £35 to £40, that jumped to £58 in January and then £86 in feb, in march Covid 19 cover was excluded and now some companies have stopped offering cover at all. It may be worth waiting until next week when we know whether travel restrictions will remain in place or not. Most companies may well take a steer from that directive.

Otherwise its trawling the companies or try the comparison sites, but check the cover as it does vary. 

good luck and hope you get sorted

John 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

That's great news that your surgeon has said that he's been able to remove all your cancer and that it's very unlikely to come back. Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had cancer.

I don't know if you'd had chance to look through the member's stories thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

It is best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Some providers might ask for a letter from your doctor saying that you are well enough to travel. This could come from your cancer team or from your GP and it might save time if you get the letter before contacting insurance providers.

In the current climate it's especially important to make sure that you will be able to get travel insurance before you book your trip. As johnr has already mentioned, you also need to check if you will be covered for cancellation or illness connected to coronavirus.

Do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Yes will fish about later when the weather turns, daughter booked accommodation for us in castle buildings, so really its just flights and that's with Ryanaire to purugia, lots of swings and roundabouts at the moment - nothing is certain - even wedding now might get moved to june next year so just doing abit of research about the subject

kind regards

gingermick