Insurance to travel to the US

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 20 subscribers

I was diagnosed with incurable small cell lung cancer last month. Prior to my diagnosis I had booked a short holiday over Easter  (5days) in San Francisco with my nephew to celebrate his high school graduation. If I am well enough and my treatment schedule allows, I would very much like to go but I am struggling with insurance. I think my situation is complicated by the fact that this is my second bout of cancer in three years (previously early stage endometrial cancer - dealt with by a total hysterectomy) Does anyone have any advice about getting insurance while under treatment with advanced cancer and undergoing active treatment. All advice gratefully received. Anna xxx

• Hi Anna

That sounds like a great trip and I do hope that you can get insurance. Unfortunately, as you have found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis. I don't know whether you've had a chance to look through the member's stories thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

It is best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as sometimes they can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance. Some insurers might ask for a letter from your  doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel.

I do hope that you can get travel insurance and that you have a great time.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"