travel insurance difficulties

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

In April we were able to get holiday insurance for my dad (stage 4 cancer) with the company insurewith. They were very helpful at the time and so we used them again for his next holiday now less than two weeks away. Sadly one of dads tumours has increased in size and so he disclosed this to insurewith who withdrew his insurance. To me it seems so unfair as his diagnosis remains the same and he feels well. We are all devastated as this is possibly his last chance to get abroad.

We are currently pursuing a quote with bootsonline, but this is a race against time. Any comments will be gratefully received.

• Hi and welcome to the online community

It does seem very unfair that your dad's travel insurance has been withdrawn but I guess it's because the insurance company now see your dad as more of a risk because of the progression of one of his tumours.

I don't know whether you've looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your dad's diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your dad's doctor to prove that they have given him permission to travel. 

I do hope that you can get travel insurance for your dad and that he has a lovely holiday.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello KT1970

It does seem to be a minefield dealing with travel insurance companies when you have a health impairment. It's even more frustrating when you do everything you should and get the kind of response that your dad has had.

I rang my insurer (Insurancewith) to tell them that I was being prescribed a drug to deal with vertigo which was a side effect of migraine, which was declared and accepted. I confirmed to the insurer that it was nothing to do with my brain tumour (also declared and accepted). They said nothing at the time but rang me at home one evening about 10 days later to say they had cancelled my insurance. I was due to travel the following week. I range the insurance ombudsman who were very helpful. They did offer to take the case on but suggested that given how close my travel date was I ring the insurer again explain that my diagnosis had not changed, my condition was stable and that my doctor confirmed I was fine to travel. It took them 24 hours to think about it but they did re-instate it. 

It may be worth speaking to the ombudsman to see if what they have done is reasonable, given that there is no change in diagnosis (presuming there is no change in drugs or treatment plan). You could also ask the insurer  to reconsider, given these factors. 

I took my next policy with Staysure. Though there is an option to do it online I rang as I find the medical screening easier to do on with a real person - you can ask exactly what they want/mean rather than give the best answer that you can. 

I hope your dad can get it sorted and can enjoy a holiday with some peace of mind. 

Best wishes

T