new travel insurance

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

hi all, new to the site, I got diagnosed with hodgekins lympoma as I was looking forward to my Spanish holiday, we cancelled but it cost us a fortune. with my diagnosis they are hoping with the chemo & radio it may be in remission by end Nov/ start Dec,

we are hoping for this & hopefully im well enough to go somewhere warmish for a family hol in january 20, after hearimg the scare stories getting travel insurance what would someone suggest?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi and welcome to the online community, I am sorry that you had to cancel your previous  holiday plans because of your earlier diagnosis but am pleased to hear that with help of radio and chemo there is hope that you will be in remission by end Nov/Dec and may manage one in January 20, Spain is nice place to go for some winter sun.

Obviously going on holiday you will need holiday insurance, the EHIC card is not sufficient, but getting a reasonably priced quote can be a nightmare with a cancer diagnosis.

We have a dedicated Travel insurance group  which you have joined where the members have put together and keep updated the Members Travel Insurance recommendations.

I would like to suggest that you open up the link and scroll through the members recommendations.

It is best to pick a few that the members have found good prices from and give them a phone rather that using a price comparison website

My friend  who normally looks after the forum will be along shortly to give you some more information that may help you in your search.

Please do take time to look at the members recommendations that the members have out together and added their comments it will help you face the minefield that is Travel Insurance.

You maybe interested to know that we have a Hodgkin lymphoma forum group that you can join and start new discussions or join in with the current ones and introduce yourself to the very friendly members they'll make you very welcome

I hope it works out for you and you have an extremely good relaxing well deserved holiday.

Ian

By clicking on any of the green text above will open up new pages for you 

• Hi and a second welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that you had to cancel your Spanish holiday as your were diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma. However, that's good news that your doctors are hoping that you'll be in remission by the end of November/beginning of December and I'm sure you'll be looking forward to a holiday by then!

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know whether you've looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel. In any case it's always best to make sure that you have checked with your doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your notes in case of a claim.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced insurance so that you can book a holiday for next year

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"