What is terminal when looking for holiday insurance??

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hi all,

I'm trying to obtain travel insurance and there are 3 main questions (affecting me) which seem to be blocking me finding anything suitable.

1. Are you terminal

2. Are you on chemo

3. Are on strong painkillers

Firstly I have secondary breast cancer which has spread to my spine & hip.  I'm on a new chemo tablet which thankfully has kept this stable for 12 months so far with no further spread.  When asked if I'm terminal - well how do you answer that? They are still treating me, I am well, and perfectly fit to travel (otherwise I wouldn't be going) and they haven't given me a short prognosis. I mean who knows how long I will last.  I just want to go and have a special holiday with my family and it's proving difficult to obtain any reasonable price for holiday insurance.   I'm currently on slow release morphine as well which isn't helping get a quote, but I am positive and am able to do daily activities like anyone else.   

Does anyone have any similar experience and have been able to get a reasonable priced insurance quote?

Many thanks in advance.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Tracy

I have previously posted asking the same question, to which I have had varying answers.  I have been searching for travel insurance for my husband who has lung cancer with secondary liver and bone mets.  Someone replied to me saying that they are incurable but don't class themselves as terminal.  My worry with that was that it doesn't matter what you class yourself as, it is what the insurance companies class you as that will determine whether they would step up and pay for medical care should it be needed whilst on holiday.  I think the only advice I can give is to be guided by your oncologist and tell the insurance company absolutely everything.  (Even put it in an email to prove what was asked, you may need to rely on this at a later date).

The main thread which ran through this topic is the timing of your travel insurance. i.e. not whilst waiting for the results of a scan etc.

As yet, I haven't found an Insurance Company I can recommend but if I do, I will definitely post it on here.

Good Luck with your search

I hope you get sorted for your family holiday

Janet

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Tracy. I'm in a very similar situation to you. Secondary breast cancer with mets to lungs liver and bones taking MST. My insurance used to be quite reasonable until I started with the painkillers.

I have used InsuranceWith and MIA. Both have had my full medical history and both have interpreted my condition as incurable but not terminal. If in any doubt always ask them to clarify the meaning when you speak to them.

Even with the big hike (week in Mallorca up from £44 to £215) I am still going away-next week in fact!

If you're sticking to mainland Europe then Eurotunnel are generally the best bet. No medical questions.

Good luck.