Insurance for France

• 6 replies
  • 20 subscribers

My husband has been diagnosed with primary liver cancer. There are no treatment options and the oncologist gave a prognosis of "a few months". That was a month ago and he is still completely symptom free. The cancer was spotted when he had heart surgery in January this year. His cardiologist discharged him this week sayingbthe surgery has done exactly what was needed. He also said he'd be very surprised if Mike had only werks left as he looks extremely well. We declared all of this to an insurance broker today, who only managed to get one quote which was from All clear and was £980 for a three day trip! Sorry to ramble on, but can anyone suggest where we might look for help with this? Thank you.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when a cancer diagnosis is involved.

Have you had chance to look at the recommendations from other members of the community in the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet? If not, I'd recommend this as a good place to start there. As there are lots of recommendations it's probably best to go through and make a list before sitting down to phone the companies. 

I hope you're able to get some reasonably priced insurance and that you have a lovely holiday.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks, I should have looked first to avoid wasting everyone's time. I think the problem is I said he had a terminal diagnosis. The follow up letter from the consultant says "uncertain prognosis". No idea if that's the same, better or worse. It's a pity health insurance companies don't work the same way as car insurers.  We have been insured for years and years, quite often with lots of very serious health conditions.  But never once in 20 years have we claimed. All that money down the drain. As it counts for nothing in the rip off health insurance world. We won't get there even though he isn't remotely poorly.

• Hi  

Please don't think you're wasting anyone's time by posting in the group. Lots of people post exactly as you have before finding the threads I've mentioned.

You are right that if you said your husband is terminal then that will affect the quotes you get. 

You might need to check what the travel insurers class as 'terminal' when you complete your quotes. You'll see in this reply by pollyalison to a previous post in this group that "some companies class 6 months as terminal and others 12 months but if you do not have a prognosis you are classed as incurable not terminal."

A former member posted here in a reply to another poster "If your husband is still receiving treatment, then he is not terminal. I am treatable but not curable but most certainly not terminal."

So, phoning the insurers rather than getting an insurance broker to do online quotes is possibly the way to go so that you can make sure that you're answering the questions correctly.

Please don't give up on your hopes for a holiday

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• My goodness that is so helpful. He is not receiving any treatment; surgery is not an option because of where it is and the oncologist said that because of previous unrelated heart issues chemo was risky. I need to do as you said and explore further.

Thank you for your time.

• I've just had a quote from insurancewith.com and was pleasantly surprised with the price.

At first they said I could only have single trip insurance, then after gathering all my medical details, they gave me a quote for a year.

They have also been very good to deal with.It seems such an achievement to be able to go on holiday, if I wish after having two separate cancer surgeries in 18 months.

Best wishes. K.

• Thank you so much. I'll try them. I hope you have many wonderful holidays. Xx