Travel insurance for patients with BRAC1 gene

• 1 reply
  • 20 subscribers

I wonder if anyone can help. Trying to obtain travel insurance with Allclear - they are asking about any conditions in the last two years. I am currently awaiting surgery for bilateral mastectomy and DIEP but not sure if this needs to be declared as a condition? The op is purely due to reducing the risk of breast cancer (I had breast cancer four years ago and this is when they found the gene). Has anyone else had this situation?

Many thanks

Donna 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I haven't been in the same situation as you but in your position I'd be inclined to phone AllClear and ask them whether the surgery needs to be declared or not. I find that with insurance it's always better to be completely open with them as otherwise you could find yourself without cover if you need to claim and they state that they needed to know about your upcoming surgery.

Let me know how you get on as it will be useful for others in a similar situation to you in the future.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"