Travel insurance for some one with life limiting cancer

• 1 reply
  • 20 subscribers

Hi everyone.

Its my husbands 60th birthday in December and I wanted to surprise him with a cruise around the Caribbean. I spoke with his consultant who said yes go for it. However when I check out travel insurance before I booked that's where the excitement ended and reality hit home.  My husband has bowel cancer with secondary cancer in his liver which is un-curable and to top it off her had a large blood clot in his Vena Cava in January.  He is doing really well at the moment and I wanted to give him something to look forwards to.  

I have tried several of the companies from the Macmillan list but to no avail.  I cant make up my mind if its due to his life limiting illness or if its due to use going cruising or where we are going. Why are people penalised time after time for having a life shortening illness? My question to you lovely people is, has anyone had a similar experience and if so who did you go through?

Life is certainly tough and travel insurance is making it tougher for me to help me give  my husband happy memories for when times get tough.  

thanks in advance 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be hard to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis. 

When you say that you "have tried several of the companies from the Macmillan list but to no avail", are you taking about those that have been recommended by other members of the group who have successfully got travel insurance on the Recommended Travel Insurance thread? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you there. As there are lots of recommendations it's probably best to go through and make a list before sitting down to phone the companies.

I haven't tried to get insurance for a cruise in the Caribbean but I have used goodtogoinsurance.com and payingtoomuch.com for holidays in Europe.

I hope you're able to find some reasonably priced insurance and that you have a lovely holiday.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"