Travel insurance cancelled after breast cancer diagnosis

• 7 replies
  • 20 subscribers

I am due to go on holiday to Spain in 2 weeks and I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer, admiral insurance have cancelled my travel insurance policy. My dr says I am fine to travel, as put me on medication that won’t affect my hol and so nothing will be be happening until after my hol when I will be having surgery. It’s very frustrating about the insurance as this won’t affect my hol. Wondered if anyone could make any suggestions about getting new travel insurance? 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your travel insurers would no longer cover you advised them of your cancer diagnosis. However, there are lots of people in this group who have successfully got insurance, myself included, so please don't give up hope.

Have you had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as that's where the majority of recommendations are? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. As there are lots of recommendations, it's probably best to make a list before starting to phone around.

I have used payingtoomuch.com and goodtogoinsurance.com in the past. 

Do come back and let us know how you get on

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you, I will have a look at them, didn’t realise how many hurdles this diagnosis would cause!! I feel really bad because we had a group policy and everyone’s as been cancelled on top of that they’re only refunding us £19!!

• Yes, it seems very unfair especially the small refund. I suppose they'd say you were covered up to that point Pensive 

Do try some of the recommendations as most of us do get insurance albeit more expensive than before cancer 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I've been looking for cover for a trip we're considering but have been having tests so can't do it until I have results (which is actually later this afternoon!).

However, I've recently seen good reports on various forums for insurancewith and allclear - if you're in a hurry might be best to try them and see if they can help?

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • Hi, I hope your results were good news. I managed to get insurance with staysure but they won’t cover anything to do with my breast cancer as I am awaiting treatment but at least I’m covered for everything else!

• Thanks, results mixed but still good reason for optimism. Now I have them I've got a good single trip with Insurewith (£80 for couple, 2 weeks Canaries - fly tomorrow morning) pending next consultant meeting to agree treatment plan.

I'm glad you managed to get sorted, enjoy your holiday to the full, as I intend to.

All the best.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • Glad you got insurance sorted and are off on your hol. Have a wonderful time.