Travelling abroad in April - help!

• 8 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hello, I have had a lumpectomy and lymph node removal 3 days ago. I am due to go on holiday to Antigua at the start of April and cannot get travel insurance. We have waited for over a year and this is a big family holiday for a special occasion.

I will have my results in 3 weeks, and the treatment plan - which is likely to be radiotherapy when I am back. Please can you tell me if it’s not realistic for me to go. I don’t know what to do.

Can anyone advise me on where I can go to get insurance or if I have to wait for my results first?

Thank you.

• Hello  - I have just noticed your post which has gone without an answer for a couple of days so by me replying it will get "bumped" back to the top of the forum and be seen by other Community members and I hope you receive some advice. I personally would NOT travel without the correct travel insurance.

I have a very different cancer to you and travelled abroad both before and after Radiotherapy and I found that after Radiotherapy my premiums came down by over half.

I also found it paid to telephone the insurance people and advise them of my diagnosis as it was easier than filling out pages of online forms only to be told to telephone for a quote at the end!!

I hope this helps and you have a fantastic holiday 

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Brian,

I will start to make some phone calls tomorrow as I can’t get any joy online. It’s good to know you managed to get away between treatments - it gives me hope.

Thank you for your thoughts Blush

• I recently got yearly travel insurance thru insure for.com which caters for people with cancer. I also have a list of about 12 travel companies who deal with people who have different cancers. If you’d like a copy message me privately and I’ll send to you. The list has been recommended by other people who have used them previously. Sue

• Hi we’re having the same problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

• Hi  I can’t work out how to message you privately but yes please to sharing the list. I would be very grateful if you don’t mind. Thank you 

• Sent you a pm with list

• Hi  

You can also see all the recommendations from other members of this forum if you click here. There are lots there so it would be best to compose a list before you start to phone around.

Do let us all know how you get on

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you very much!