Travel insurance issues

• 2 replies
  • 20 subscribers

My wife has been diagnosed with Stage 0 oesophageal cancer, which we understand is not immediately a major concern.  It has been confirmed that it hasn't spread.  As a result of letting our insurance company know that she was having an investigation they suspended all of her pre-existing conditions until the diagnosis was confirmed.  Next week, she will have a procedure to excise an area that should leave her cancer free and under continuous surveillance thereafter.

Assuming she is clear, how does this affect her insurance?  Will Stage 0 be looked upon more favourably or not?  If we have to change providers, is it best to ring rather than use online quotes?  What else should we be aware of?

I am also under investigation for some (non-cancer) ailments but they haven't been diagnosed / confirmed.  How does this affect my insurance, which is also suspended for all pre-existing conditions?

Thanks for any help and comments that follow.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis or other health issues. 

Before you book your next holiday take a look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread, as that's where the majority of recommendations are for insurers that others have got insurance through, and make sure you can get insurance as the last thing you want is to book a holiday and then find you can't get insurance. As there are lots of recommendations, it's probably best to make a list before starting to phone around.

Most people recommend that you phone the companies rather than do the quote online as it gives you a chance to explain 'things' to a person rather than wondering how to answer a question online. Also, sometimes you can get to the end of a lengthy online quote only to be told that you need to ring the company before they can give you a quote anyway.

I hope this helps

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks for your message.  Phoning rather than online enquiry seems to be the way forward. Your suggestions are welcome and helpful .  Thanks.