Travel Insurance - synchronous cancers versus single metatastic cancer

• 4 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi,

I am looking to travel but am getting no where with the insurance companies even when speaking to them by phone because I seem to be a fairly unique case. 

Unfortunately my diagnosis is unclear. I either had two synchronous stage 1 cancers in different locations or I had a single cancer which spread and so was stage 3. Its impossible to say which. Having recently finished treatment for the worst case scenario I now want to go and have some fun. 

The insurance companies are saying that unless I have a single confirmed diagnosis they can't insure me or that they have to treat it as undiagnosed and hence exclude all pre-existing medical conditions.  I've even had one say I need to go back to my doctor and ask for a proper diagnosis !

Has anyone else come across something similar or have any advice ?

Thanks in advance

• I have metastatic cancer primary unknown. Although Stage 4 I have been in remission for 2.5 years. The insures I've spoke to so far either won't insure me the few that have said they will  are quoting in the thousands. They seem to rely on their tick list more than the fact you are in remission and generally well. Last year I was quoted nearly £3k. Double the price of a short holiday in Spain. I gave up but have decided to try again my wife and I really need a break away.

• Really sorry to hear that you've not managed to get away for so long. And I agree about the tick lists. It's precisely that they can't go off script that is hindering me. One good piece of advice that I got from the Macmillan financial helpline is that if you get to speak to a human, ask to be put through to the underwriter because they have more discretion. Unfortunately speaking to an underwriter isn't on the tick list either so Ive drawn a blank on this one so far.

My last ditch attempt has been to go through an insurance broker who have been trying really hard on my behalf. They've given up trying to get an annual policy but are cautiously optimistic that they might be able to sort something out for a short break in Europe. I shall post again with details if they make a breakthrough.

• Hi  and  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when there's a cancer diagnosis involved. However, there are lots of people in this group who've got reasonably priced insurance allowing them to take a holiday.

Have you had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as that's where the majority of recommendations are? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. As there are lots of recommendations, it's probably best to make a list before starting to phone around.

I do hope you can get insurance so that you can continue with your holiday plans.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks for this. I'll give it a go. I tried my broker I normally use for cars etc but they couldn't do anything for me. I'll have another look through the Travel insurance thread. Let you know if I have any luck.