USA without travel insurance for immunotherapy cover

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Considering a trip taking out the usual insurance but without  cover for the cancer.. Can this be done ? Quotes are £5k !!

• Hi  

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis. However, there are lots of people in this group who have and are enjoying holidays.

Have you had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as that's where the majority of recommendations are? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. As there are lots of recommendations, it's probably best to make a list before starting to phone around.

Most people recommend that you phone the companies rather than do the quote online as it gives you a chance to explain 'things' to a person rather than wondering how to answer a question online. Also, sometimes you can get to the end of a lengthy online quote only to be told that you need to ring the company before they can give you a quote anyway.

I haven't personally tried to get travel insurance that doesn't include cover for my cancer diagnoses, so probably the best way of finding out is to ask the question before you start the quote process if you definitely don't want the cover to include your cancer diagnosis. However, hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised and get cover to include the cancer diagnosis if you try the companies that have been recommended in this forum.

Do let us know how you get on.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I did this last year, my consultant said that as I didn’t currently have cancer, it was unlikely that any cancer related treatment would be needed whilst in the US for 3 weeks, so I didn’t declare any cancer. It was through Marks and Spencer, about £500 I think for myself and my husband. The health issues in the policy were mainly his diabetes, high blood pressure and AF.  So glad I was able to go as this year I’ve had another diagnosis, more treatment now ongoing, so not likely to be crossing the pond any time soon.  I’ll check out the tips suggested by Latchbrook though.  Good luck, I hope you find a suitable policy and are able to travel. 

• Hi   

There's a big difference between not declaring your cancer diagnosis and asking for your cancer diagnosis to be excluded. 

If you do the former and have to claim, the insurers might not pay out as you would have failed to disclose all medical conditions and they might say they wouldn't have insured you if they'd known about your cancer diagnosis.

With the latter they would pay out as long as your claim was not linked in anyway to the cancer.

I hope the treatment goes well and you can soon have another holiday.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"