Travel insurance for my wife who does not have cancer travelling alone

• 4 replies
  • 20 subscribers

My wife wants to travel to Australia to see her son on her own, she has no medical conditions, I have bone Marow cancer, which is being controlled, I tried to get travel insurance and because she knows about my condition, I cannot get cover for her, any ideas, I am so angry that she is being penalised because of my condition, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

take care all

Colin

• Hi  

If your wife is buying travel insurance to travel on her own, why are the insurers asking her about your pre-existing medical conditions? My travel insurer didn't ask me about my husband's medical conditions when I took out insurance.

Sorry if I've misunderstood something here.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks for your reply, the question I asked the travel agent was, if anything happens to me before or during her stay can she claim, the answer was no, as she knew that was a possibility before she got the insurance and not declaring it would maker the policy null and void, now she can just go and book it and take a chance, but I can assure you if anything happened to me, the first question would be, how long have you known your husband had cancer. I should have gone on holiday myself back in June, unfortunately I ended up in hospital and it took me three months to get my money back and that was with the proper medical insurance 

take care

colin

• Ah yes, I see now. This question has been asked many times before and I don't think anyone yet has managed to get insurance to cover a non-travelling relative, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong!

You could have a look through this thread, as it has loads of recommendations for travel insurers who will provide cover if you have cancer, but I don't know if they'll cover a non-travelling relative. It doesn't just apply to cancer as most insurance policies small print says something like you can't claim for cancellation, or cutting short your holiday, if a relative has an illness which you knew might get worse while you're away.

Please do come back and let us know how you get on as I know this question will get asked again.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Colin,

I'm sorry you're having this problem but unfortunately that's how insurance is. I am guessing that the risk you're principally concerned about is cancellation before the trip starts (if you have a problem and your wife no longer wants to travel) or curtailment (if you have a problem when she is already in Austrlalia and needs to get back home to you ASAP)?

On this basis, and given that she is to stay with her son so presumably there are no significant extra costs such as accommodation, car rental etc., over and above travel / air fares your financial risk would appear to be largely loss of travel costs already paid but journeys not taken (if she's still in the UK pre-departure) or cost of a new ticket home (if she's in Australia and can't change travel date of her return ticket quickly enough so has to buy a new ticket). If this is the case and you are able to stand the cost without insurance it might be acceptable to enable her to go?

Unfortunately travel insurance like many other types provides cover for unforeseen events and, although your condition is fortunately being controlled, it still has to be declared because they wouldn't see a deterioration as unforeseen. As you've found out, it's likely no insurer will want cover this (or if they will, charge a high price).

You say that you've asked your travel agent but are they the right people to advise you on this? It might be best to 'phone a couple of suitable insurance companies to establish what they can do for you by possibly just excluding you or your condition. Whatever, it's essential that an insurer is aware of the full facts before cover is taken out even if they exclude something because of the circumstances. This avoids the possibility of disputes or misunderstandings in the event of a having to make a claim for anything.

I hope you can get something acceptable arranged.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.