Travel insurance for New York trip

• 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Dear All

I booked flights to New York for 14th October, travelling with my husband.  This was around 4 months ago and then about a month ago received my breast cancer diagnosis. I had right breast wide local excision and sentinel lymph node biopsy + mammoplasty surgery last Monday.  Had a check up today and all seems to be healing and as it should be.  I am due to have radiotherapy once all is healed.  

When I first got the diagnosis, my consultant was quite amenable to us continuing with our plans for New York as long as I felt comfortable with the flight.  I won't have my follow up with the consultant until after 19th October, one month post surgery, which is after my trip.  

I've had a look at travel insurance with Staysure and Insurancewith and both have come back with no cover available but with the option to speak to them to discuss.  

Am I being totally unrealistic in hoping still to travel and will I need written permission from my consultant/GP?  

Any advice gratefully received.  

• Hi  

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis.

Have you had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as that's where you'll find plenty of recommendations from people who have found travel insurance? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. As there are lots of recommendations there, it's probably best to make a list before starting to phone around.

I've never been asked by travel insurers for written permission for either of the types of cancer I've had but you'd just have to be guided by them when you do the quote.

I'm assuming from what you've said that you've tried to do online quotes. However, it's usually better to ring the companies directly as, as you've found, quite often at the end of the quote you'll get a message asking you to phone them.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced travel insurance and that you have a lovely time in New York

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"