I have existing standard travel insurance through my bank. I am trying to add insurance to covering my esophageal cancer diagnosis the quotes are coming out exorbitant -£1ooo for a 3 day trip to Brussels. What is other peoples experience ?

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Hi,

I am wondering if the GHIC card and my travel insurance will cover me? 

My thoughts is that if my cancer returns I wouldn't haven't make any treatment in Europe and worse case travel home early.

Or am i making a potential expensive mistake? 

Mike

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis. I'm presuming that your bank insurance will not cover your oesophageal cancer diagnosis.

Have you had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as that's where you'll find plenty of recommendations from people who have found reasonably priced travel insurance? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. As there are lots of recommendations there, it's probably best to make a list before starting to phone around.

A GHIC will allow you access in some countries to state-provided healthcare. This means you have the right to access the medical treatment a resident of that country would receive at the same price but it's not the same as having travel insurance. It only covers emergency or necessary medical care and will never pay for repatriation should you need it.

Do come back and let us know how you get on.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"