Can't get Insurance

• 5 replies
  • 22 subscribers

My Mum was diagnosed with terminal soft palate cancer in June 2021.  She was given 6 to 9 months and was told she couldn't have treatment as it wouldn't help etc and that was that she was discharged from Oncology.  Thankfully she is still here and doing okay.  She really wants to go on holiday to Turkey with us in August but we can't get Insurance anywhere for her.  We've tried everywhere, all the cancer insurance places etc but because she is over the time frame she was given we have been told no-one will insure her.  Has anyone found a way around this?

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

A holiday to Turkey sounds like a lovely idea but unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis. Have you had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as that's where the majority of recommendations are? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

As there are lots of recommendations, it's probably best to go through the thread, make a list and then sit down with a big cup of tea before you start phoning around.

I've also searched the group looking for other posts which mention having a terminal diagnosis and found this one which is similar to your mum's circumstances. Hopefully the insurance company they used will quote for your mum too.

Do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much Latchbrook for replying and the link to the other thread.  Very happy to say we got insurance for Mum £311, now we can go and enjoy the holiday AirplaneGrinning XXX

• That's great news  and I hope you all have a lovely time.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

I hope with all my heart you find appropriate cover and make that all important family trip to Turkey.

I have ovarian cancer and found it extremely difficult to get insurance, phoning an endless number of companies.   I have a wedding in Canada and family in USA and wanted to travel throughput the next 12mths while I can.   The only company that I got a quote from was ALLCLEAR Travel Insurance (Freephone 0800 640 4829.  It was extremely high but was for a year of travel.

When I advised one company that I had chemo/operation/more chemo and that the cancer marker in my blood was down within limits they told me they couldn’t insure me as my cancer was then gone.  I was stunned as even my oncologist couldn’t confirm that.  
    Please persevere.

I hope you can all go to Turkey and enjoy your time together

• Hi there, I have just been trying to get cover to travel to  USA. I am 54 and have stage IV lung cancer but have asked not to have a prognosis. I’m doing really well and I am on a first in human trial. I have had normal range blood results and stable scans for over 1 year and, aside of some side effects, I am feeling very well, and am able bodied & fit to travel.

I’ve literally spent all afternoon on the phone getting refusal after refusal, from unsympathetic box ticking insurance companies who would each take me through 10 -15 min of questions only to say no. I thought was because I don’t want to know my prognosis however I have just spoken with an excellent chap at Insure for Cancer who was incredibly patient & very knowledgeable about my condition. He told me that despite the fact I was well it was the combination of my being on a first in human trial and the risk of a high altitude flight with lung cancer, plus the US having such high health care costs, that meant he would be unlikely to find an underwriter to cover me and if he could it would be inordinately expensive.

So it looks like I won’t be travelling to the States, but it made my day speaking to someone who understood the difficulties of insuring a stage IV diagnosis and bent over backwards to listen, help and treat me as a person not a statistic. He said that they consider each case individually and are often able to cover people with a terminal diagnosis, taking into account blood results & markers as well as oncologists opinions rather than purely the prognosis, which he said is only a number. I wanted to share this, as I would definitely recommend giving them a try. Good luck!

Insure Cancer 0845 582 0190

ps he even called me back to save me the cost of the call x