Recent diagnosis Kidney Cancer need travel insurance quickly

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with Metastatic Kidney cancer 4 weeks ago. We didn't think we would be able to go on our holiday but our oncologist has encouraged us to go prior to him starting immunotherapy mid August.

However, having informed our Barclays Travel Insurance they have advised he is not covered for any circumstances relating to his cancer. They have also said we are not covered for the cost of the trip as we paid the balance after he had seen the GP (before the diagnosis). 

We are due to travel on Sunday and the medical travel compared website has not come up with any quotes.

I am concerned about costs of medical repatriation and what would happen to my children and myself if something did happen. (Not so worried about the cost of the holiday per se).

Any advice gratefully received.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your husband has recently been diagnosed with kidney cancer but that's good that his oncologist is happy for him to have a holiday before he starts treatment.

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to get travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis. Have you had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as that's where the majority of recommendations are? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

As there are lots of recommendations, it's probably best to go through the thread, make a list and then sit down with a big cup of tea before you start phoning around.

Do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"