Flight Cancellation

• 5 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Does anyone have any experience of cancelling a flight without insurance? My Dad received a terminal diagnosis after booking flights and before arranging insurance. 

I know companies can make exceptions to their usual policy but I seem to be coming up against a bit of a lack of compassion when trying to see if I can get some money back (obviously the financial situation has changed since diagnosis so any money back would be useful).

One option was possibly to sell flights to someone else who would then pay the cost of the name change, but seemingly this airline only allow corrections to names and not complete changes. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your dad has recently received a terminal diagnosis and I know what an incredibly stressful time this will be for the whole family.

I don't have experience of trying to claim money paid for flights back from the airline, as I have always bought my insurance at the time of booking a holiday/flight. Did he buy the flights through a travel agent as they might be able to help?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks so much for replying. They used Opodo to book flights through who haven't been able to help so far.  I've sent a message on Twitter as hoping seeing it written down may help them understand my request as I got the feeling they didn't when I spoke to them on the phone (they said they hoped he got well soon!) 

• Can you have a look at the booking terms and conditions, as it usually says how much will be refunded, if any, depending on how far in advance you cancel?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I got a response to my Twitter DM asking for relevant medical documentation for them to consider the exceptional circumstances. I sent the diagnosis letter and they've agreed to refund in full which is brilliant. 

• That's great news  Slight smile

Community Champion Badge