Hi my husband has been diagnosed with prostrate cancer which is in the pelvic bone as well

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi I am looking for travel insurance for my husband to go to Florida in December. He has prostrate cancer which has gone to the pelvic bone. He was only diagnosed a few months ago and has now started treatment for the cancer. His consultant is happy for him to go in December but worried about cost of insurance. Also I had emergency surgery on my bowel February last year where they removed all of the cancer and most of my lower bowel. I didn’t need any further treatment as they said it was all gone but they still follow me up with bloods and ct scans and telephone consultations with the nurses. Would I have to mention my bowel cancer as I no longer have it. Thank you

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

A holiday to Florida sounds lovely but, unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis. 

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. There are lots of recommendations there so it's best to go through the thread, make a list and then sit down with a big cup of tea to start phoning around.

You'll probably find that most insurers ask either if you've ever had cancer or if you've had it in the last so many years, ie. the last two or the last five as an example. You must make sure that you answer all questions accurately otherwise you may find that you're not covered if you have to make a claim.

I hope this helps and do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you I will follow the thread. 

Emilyl

• Hi SummerL, my husband was also diagnosed with prostrate cancer (advanced) a few months ago with it spread to the bones in his back, he also has high blood pressure. After several disheartening phone calls resulting in refusals I discovered a way to narrow down the number of companies to try on the recommended list. If the screening process used is the same as the previous ones checked (you should find this information on the list) you're likely to get the same response. On the last attempt before giving up I tried Insurewith and after a long process and a LOT of questions I have finally bought a one-off policy for 10 days in the US for £508, this might seem expensive considering my husband previously had complimentary cover through our bank and he feels relatively well but it's a bargain for peace of mind and, compared any other suggestions which involved 4 figure sums, I'm happy to pay it. you do need to declare everything for the person/s to be covered, otherwise you're wasting your own time and money.

Don't give up hope and keep trying, however, worst case scenario, have an alternative holiday in mind, we all need our holiday!