Do I need insurance

• 2 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi I have stage 4 esophagus cancer, diagnosed 2019, prognosis wasn't good at the time.  I had 9 chemotherapy and 10 radiotherapy sessions and the cancer that had gone to my liver went.  I've not had teatment since 2020. Cancer is stable. I have CT scans every 3 months but as my consultant has been pleased my last ct scan was a 5 month scan.  I'm waiting for the results. Pray  I went to Kefalonia last year and managed to get my insurance down to £1000...which is awful...it's like being punished twice.  What I want to know is, do I need to declare and insure myself for esophagus cancer, if I'm still stable (if I decide to travel again) .  I don't have any symptoms and this cancer was found on a routine endoscope (I have barrett's esophagus) again no symptoms.  I'm only taking omeprazole.  If anything, I'm more likely to suffer from back problems which I would insure for as have prolapsed disc and sciatica.  Sorry long question...any advice please.  Really high cost of insurance for cancer patients is not fair! 

• Hi  

It's great to read that your cancer is now stable and you haven't needed treatment for 3 years.

It can be, as you've found, more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis. When you apply for travel insurance you need to answer the questions accurately or you may find that, if you come to claim, you're not covered. So, if the company ask if you've ever had cancer you will have to say yes. Sometimes they ask if you've been diagnosed in the last so many years, so again you need to answer that correctly.

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. There are lots of recommendations there so it's best to go through the thread, make a list and then sit down with a big cup of tea to start phoning around.

Make sure that you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Some providers might ask for a letter from your doctor saying that you are well enough to travel. This could come from your cancer team or GP.

I hope this helps and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi  

I think the main point is to be honest with the insurance company and answer all questions truthfully. I declared everything to my existing insurer, and they covered everything EXCEPT my cancer on my first trip after getting a NED result/clear scan as it was less than 6 months since I’d had the all clear. I was happy to go with this as it was just a 2 week break, but I wanted to make sure I was covered for other things like theft, loss of baggage, and any other medical emergency like falling and breaking my leg, which they confirmed would be the case. 

If you fail to declare the cancer diagnosis on the application, they can deny any claim and insurance companies share information so it may be difficult to get future cover with another company if you have not been truthful.

Hope you can find something suitable.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm