Travel insurance for Canada for 4 weeks holiday when having b-cell low grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Hi, my mum has recently been diagnosed with marginal splenic b-cell non Hodgkin lymphoma low grade having had ITP for the last 10 years. She is in active monitoring. We had a shock when we went to update her travel insurance, we had booked her flights prior to this diagnosis. Her policy was immediately cancelled and no claim solution for her flight booked.

We are now looking for any an insurance company who would agree to cover her trip (it’s for her mother and brothers belated remembrance services as they both passed away earlier this year). At the moment we are not having any success and the challenge is Canada with her conditions. We have tried Staysure as well as Insurewith as well as a few others.

Has anyone found an insurer for travelling to Canada with non-Hodgkins lymphoma on this forum.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

• Hi  I just came across your post, I am Mike and I help out across our various Lymphoma groups.

Getting Travel Insurance can be very complicated with a Lymphoma diagnosis. As one Insurance Broker once said to me “being on watch and wait for Lymphoma is seen by Travel Insurance Company's as you sitting on an unexplored bomb…… and most won’t touch you!!!”

I have lived and been treated for my type of rare type of Low Grade T- Cell Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma for coming up to 24 years and I never achieved getting Travel Insurance when I was on W&W or on any maintenance treatments…… many Insurance Companies see W&W as treatment……. I had to be over 2 years out from any treatment, not on any maintenance and given an official full or partial remission classification from my consultant. 

The frustrating thing is that consultants will often say you are fit to go on holiday when on W&W and even on treatments but Insurance Companies take a different view when it comes to risk assessment a person.

Comparison sites tend to use the same algorithms so getting a clear price can be difficult and it’s not that unusual to be turned down or told to call the insurers. It’s actually more effective to call a few insurers directly as this means that you have answered all the questions correctly and in doing this a suitable policy can be offered and price given.

Do have a look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread and this New Thread as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. You can also look through all the individual members posts in the group as well.

I do hope you find some cover.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge