Long Stay Travel Insurance

• 4 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Good morning, I’m new to this forum so firstly thank you for having me and hello!  

My husband, George, was diagnosed with melanoma, which spread to lymph nodes and lungs, in 2021. He has had immunotherapy, last session August last year,  which has been ever so successful and recent scan results show the melanoma is very much under control and tumours have significantly decreased in size.  He has felt fairly well throughout his entire cancer journey and has worked throughout his treatment.

But, it’s now time to take things at a slower pace, we are thinking about a big holiday next year! We would love to do a round the world cruise.  We have found a suitable cruise company and itinerary but we have had no luck with travel insurance. The trip is for 99 nights, which is a long time. Does anyone have any suggestions for insurance. I’ve tried around 15 companies who have all come back with ‘no cover available’! Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. 

Thank you all so much and have a lovely weekend. 

Kind regards, Suzanne 

•  

Hi Suzanne and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis. Have you had chance to look at the recommendations in the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. The thread is quite long so it's best to make a list on paper of the companies recommended and then work your way through them.

I don't know if you've been doing your quotes online, but it's often better to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also, sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

I recently used goodtogotravelinsurance.com for a 77 night holiday in Europe, although I don't have the same set of circumstances as your husband, and found them very reasonable. Maybe give them a try if you haven't already. Also, does the cruise company recommend any particular insurer?

Do come back and let me know how you get on and I hope you have a lovely cruise

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi, the reason you may not be able to get insurance is that it is a cruise. Cruises seem to be a no-go area for insurance companies. It might be that if your husband took poorly whilst on holiday it may be three days before you could get to a port. If it was a serious situation, he may need a lifting off that may be impossible from the cruise ship and if it was extremely expensive therefore this is a possible reason they will not insure you. Unfortunately brokers to which all the insurance companies go Never give a reason why they are declining you  

Best of luck.

• Thank you so much for your kind welcome. 

I will definitely check the recommended travel insurance thread and I didn’t think about speaking to the cruise company so I’ll definitely give them a call. 

I will keep you posted with my findings, if any!

I hope you have a lovely weekend. 

Kind regards, Suzanne 

• Exploring the world for an extended period is an exciting adventure, and long stay travel insurance is an essential companion for peace of mind during these journeys. It not only covers unexpected medical emergencies but also protects against trip cancellations, lost belongings, and more, allowing you to immerse in new cultures worry-free. Interestingly, just as long stay travel insurance provides a safety net for adventurers, binary option trading 2024 offers a unique opportunity for those looking to diversify their investment portfolio. Both avenues require careful planning and understanding of risks, yet they open doors to enriching experiences and potential rewards. Embrace the adventure with confidence!