Travel to Europe for 90 year old diagnosed with terminal cancer

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Please can anyone advise on where to go for travel insurance for my Mother in Law who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer of the oesophagus since last August. Outwardly and generally she is fighting fit. Using her bus pass regularly and having travelled to spend short breaks in the UK without incident or problem she is endeavouring to live her life to the full even at 90 years of age. She wants to travel to her native Sicily and Italy to have a few weeks with her sister and family before she dies. Every company we have thus far approached has turned us down. Can anyone help please. Thanks so much. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis but I do hope you can fulfil your mother-in-law's hopes for a visit to Sicily and Italy.

Have you had chance to look at the recommendations in the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet as that's where the majority of recommendations are? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. 

When you have approached travel insurers, have you checked with them what their definition of 'terminal' is? The reason I ask is because, as you will see from this reply by pollyalison to a previous post in this group, "some companies class 6 months as terminal and others 12 months but if you do not have a prognosis you are classed as incurable not terminal."

Do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks so much Latchbrook. This is most helpful.

• Unfortunately, finding travel insurance for your mother-in-law's situation has been challenging. However, don't lose hope just yet.
    When approaching travel insurers, it's worth clarifying their definition of 'terminal.' Some companies may consider a prognosis of 6 months as terminal, while others may extend it to 12 months. If your mother-in-law's condition falls under the category of 'incurable' rather than 'terminal,' it could open up more options for insurance coverage.

I hope you find a solution that allows your mother-in-law to fulfill her wish to visit Sicily and Italy. It's wonderful that she's determined to live her life to the fullest.