Travel insurance before treatment of new diagnosis

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Hi most online companies are saying no - any advice? 
no symptoms, awaiting treatment to start for stage 
1 rectal cancer 

• Hi  

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to get travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis.

I used goodtogoinsurance.com earlier this year to cover me and my husband's holiday in Europe. My cancer treatment had finished, so  insurance companies were happy to insure me, but my husband was waiting for a minor procedure for a non-cancerous condition and the first ones we tried wouldn't cover him. However, goodtogoinsurance.com would. They did exclude cancellation cover if we had to cancel our holiday because the surgery date was brought forward and also they wouldn't pay out if we had to come home early for the same reason. As we knew that this definitely wouldn't happen we were happy to go with them.

If you've already tried them, or try them and get refused, then do have a look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread as that's where the majority of recommendations are from other members of this community.

It's often better to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also, sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Do come back and let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"