Travel insurance

• 4 replies
  • 20 subscribers

I am in remission for acute myeloid leukaemia. I will continue to receive maintenance chemotherapy every month for the rest of my life. We are going to Portugal on holiday for a week in may and I would appreciate help with finding holiday insurance. My previous insurance with our bank would not cover my cancer. Thank you in anticipation.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

A holiday to Portugal sounds lovely but, unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis. Have you had chance to look at the recommendations in the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. The thread is quite long so it's best to make a list on paper of the companies recommended and then work your way through them.

It's often been found to be better to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also, sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

I do hope you can get some reasonably priced travel insurance and that you have a lovely time.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you. I have made a list of phone numbers.

• Thank you. I have made a list of phone numbers. I will start tommorow if I feel up to it as I am receiving chemotherapy this week.

• I already had a current annual travel insurance in place when I got my ET diagnosis, I called Admiral the insurer who went through a number of health screening questions with me and added the ET as an existing precondition for the cost of an additional £50 per annum.