When is a cruise not a cruise?

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

I'm in the process of selecting a holiday and trying to get insurance at the same time.  One question that crops up, is whether I want cover for taking a cruise.  Sea-going cruises are easy to identify, but I'm not anticipating going on one such.  I'm thinking more of a river cruise, maybe on one of the larger boats, but maybe one one of the barge trips with only 20 or so guests.  Is any intention to travel on water classed as a cruise, or should this description be applied only to sea-going experiences?  The insurance brokers I've spoken to so far have suggested I tick the 'Yes' box for any waterborne break, but this may be a way of encouraging me to take an add-on at a significant cost.  Does anyone know if there's an 'industry rule' on this subject, please?

• Hi

Having not done a river cruise I don't know if for insurance purposes it's classed as a cruise or not.

Probably the best people to answer this question would be one of the companies that sell river cruises. When you find out the answer it would be great if you could update your post for others in the future.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• My travel policy shows a definition of cruise as sea or river going and it's common (though not compulsory) for all insurers to use similar definitions. Best to ask the insurer (or look up their wording on the internet) or their definition to be sure of where you stand with this.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • Thanks @excavator. You're right - the definitions do vary between insurers and there is a need to check each time, which is a pain.  It seems that insurancewith.com classes sea-going trips as cruises, but rivers and canals are not, which makes perfect sense to me.  I've yet to get a quote from this firm, so it's fingers crossed time.