Travel insurance

• 10 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi can anyone recommend travel insurance that’s not going to cost a fortune please.

• I cannot shout loud enough about this company!!!!  INSURANCEWITH. I was being quoted from £1200 to £2500 for a 10 night holiday to Turkey which I hasten to add that I'd already booked! I knew it was going to cost me a bit more in insurance but come on... Some companies wouldn't even touch me. This was the 13th company that I rang.  I went into shock when they quoted me £88!  I went with the next level up which was £108. The medical excess is £300 but hey... Hopefully I wont need to pay it.

The medical screening is obviously a lot more thorough and be prepared to be on the phone for a while but believe me, it's so worth it

Shout it from the roof tops! I've been telling everyone.  Insurancewith is the first and only port of call.. Happy bunny !!

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis and thanks very much to Oldskool raver for giving you their recommendation.

In case insurancewith don't come up trumps for you, you could also look at the recommendations in the 'recommended travel insurance' thread. Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

Most people recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi i have just purchased travel insurance for 1 week in France for £47 from Holiday Safe Travel Insurance. I have bowel cancer and am going in between chemo sessions. You have to answer a lot of medical questions online but this beat all the other quotes I got by a long shot. Hope this helps x

• one aspect is unclear in the 30 online questions, is if you have defeated cancer, they do not appear to ask this just your type of cancer.

I was diagnosed in Dec21 with stomach cancer but, 4 sessions of Chemo followed by a total gastrectomy later I was given all clear and now just finished a further 4 chemo sessions.

I assume if I call I can make this point and the maybe then premium will drop (£117 for Europe) actually only going to Scilly isles

• Not sure if you were able to get insurance yet. Try World First Travel.  After being quoted over £1000 for 7 days. Recommended by my sister who is on target treatment 12 years now and myself secondary breast cancer 20 months. You maybe pleasantly surprised.  We shouldn’t be treated as aliens because cancer choose us as their next victim. Quote 12 months £120. 

• I would recommend ringing around companies. moneyhelper.org.uk has a good list of travel insurance companies that offer cover for pre existing medical problems. Try and find quotations from companies that use different medical screening tools. I got quotes from about 6 companies, in the end I went with Puffin Insurance £150 from an annual world wide policy including USA. Payingtoomuch was a close second with a slightly higher quote. 

• This will be our first holiday to lanzarote in years and now the big task of finding medical insurance fir the hubby.

Advanced prostate cancer with nine mets

2 x chemo last dosage early this year

catheter fitted 

lots of medication taken daily 

3 monthly Zoladex injections 

no further treatment planned as hubby well I’m worried now about the cost of insurance for a weeks holiday not even began the search yet.

so any advice would be wonderful 

Thank you xx

• I was dredging looking for travel insurance myself. Give yourself plenty of time to ring round different companies, it will be time consuming but definitely worthwhile to get a good quote. I checked out some of the suggestions from the 'recommended travel insurance group' Insurancewith.com is a name that comes up alot. I was also advised to try Insurecancer.com, as I have Stage 4 Osteosarcoma with mets. The best quote was from Puffininsurance.com . Good luck with your search and hope you have a lovely holiday.

• I spent 5 hours on the phone to different companies - all came back with the same answer that they couldnt provide cover due to hubbys age (79) and that he is receiving chemo and immunotherapy. Only one company, Allclear, would provide a quote £2750 for an annual policy.  So it looks like we are going to take as many holidays as possible inbetween treatments to get our moneys worth as you never know when they may have to stop!

• Go on world first travel insurance website I put all my information in questions are about you and your current state.  Be honest.  I’m currently on treatment and cancer spread to lymph nodes etc.  high blood pressure, quote just under £100 for 12 months.  My sister has cancer, 13 years this month. Had all treatment, 3 tumours still there has chemotherapy injections monthly. Her quote £54 for 12 months.  Try them.