Trying to travel insurance cover

• 9 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Can anyone suggest insurance companies? Just been refused by Insurewith. My husband has stage 4 gallbladder cancer and has recently finished chemotherapy. He is well right now having had side effects with Capecitabine and would really enjoy a break in Spain.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've just been refused travel insurance by insurewith. Unfortunately, as you have found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis.

Have you had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

Most people recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• We have annual travel insurance cover through our Marks and Spencer credit card. I tried contacting them to see if we could buy additional cover for my husband but no luck. I will try going through a broker tomorrow. More stress when you actually don’t need it! 

• That sounds like a good idea but do have a look at the thread I linked you to as well as the recommendations there are from people who have/had cancer and who have got cover.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• One more try before using a broker - Saga, but they refused too. I read the above threads and used the links. I eventually used a broker from BIBA and put in my postcode to find one as local as possible. Now have travel insurance with Freespirit. It cost £760 for one week in Majorca (might be helpful info for anyone as a comparison). Look for travel insurance when you are having a good day as it’s emotionally draining. People were polite enough but personal, difficult questions are asked.

• Hi Janice. I'm going to Italy with friends for 8 days on October 1st. AllClear have insured me for £496. 73 on their Gold Plus single trip policy. This included 20% discount with code from newspaper. I am 80 with incurable cervical cancer, type 2 diabetes and a few other medical conditions, so I think it is good value.

• Hi Nan, that certainly looks like a good deal from AllClear and I will look at using them in the future. This is all new to us - learning every day! Enjoy your holiday, Janice

• INSURANCEWITH.  Different from Insurewith.  Unbelieveable!  The medical screening over the phone is very thorough and be prepared to be on the phone for a while but SO worth it. After ringing 13 companies (in which 5 wouldn't even touch me)  the quotes I was getting ranged from £1200 to £2500 they quoted me £88!  I went with the next level up which was £108 and the medical excess was £300 but my God that is a huge difference. I hope this will help you in your determination to get away for a holiday.

• Hi

I'm glad to read that you got travel insurance in the end. You are tight that you need to be doing it on a 'good day' as ringing lots of different providers can be draining.

I hope you have a lovely time away.

x

Community Champion Badge

• That sounds like a great price . I know lots of people have recommended insurancewith in the past so it's good to see that they're still providing very competitive deals for people who have had cancer.

x

Community Champion Badge