Horseback safari South Africa

• 6 replies
  • 18 subscribers

so, we booked a horseback safari in South Africa a few years back and it has been postponed and posts for covid till this year. 
however, I went and got bowel cancer and been having surgeries and chemo. 
dies anyone have any idea if I will be able to get insurance at all for this…?! I’ve been looking and can’t find anything, hoping you knowledgeable lot might be able to point me in a better direction…

• I have,  think it depends on results of treatments etc and how long ago 

Got mine through Saga. Where are you going in Africa, I've done several riding safaris there?

• I am currently on chemo but will finish just short of 2 weeks prior to flying. There are more surgeries to come but the main one with taking out the tumour is done. 
    the safari is in Kruger (I’ve done one in Swazi before and walking safaris in Kruger but this one is POSH…) by ‘wait a little’ safaris. 
    I’ve found one company that’ll cover for cancer and horse riding or safari but don’t know if horse-safari is covered…. And also I cannot afford that particular premium…… ouch. 

• Wait a Little is great, been there a couple of times and Phillip and Gerti are lovely. Great horses too.

I've never seen any insurers covering horse safaris, I've figured if they cover horse riding and safaris that would cover it. As regards insurance it may be because you're still receiving treatment with more to come. 

One option may be, if you were happy to do so, might be to see if they'll insure you excluding any cover related to cancer., I believe some of the insurances packaged with bank accounts offer this. 

Really hope you get to go out there. It's the thought of one more riding safari that's kept me going over the last few yesrs xx 

• The problem is I have a stoma and also adhesions from surgery so I really need that covered in case they kick off which is entirely possible…. 
    I can’t be stuck in Kruger with a twisted gut or a blockage…

I also need cancellation cover in case the last cycle does me in and most of them don’t cover that.. 

mom really thinking I’m gonna have to cancel it now. 
    when did you do it? How was it?! 
    x

• I've not been away since getting the stoma due to the covid restrictions.  I advised the insurers I'd had surgery for bowel cancer which was all removed early 2020 and they didn't ask any more about it. Likewise I answered all the questions about my current throat cancer treatment but didn't actually volunteer anything they didn't ask. 

I do see your point about feeling you need the full cover especially with your treatment being so recent and possible issues you might have, luckily I really don't feel I'd have any problems cancer wise but thought I'd better declare everything just in case I fell off and broke a leg and then they wouldn't cover me for that! 

It's several years since I rode at Wait a Little  great riding and game viewing from horseback. I would certainly go there again if I wasn't in love with riding in the Okavango Delta, Botswana 

• Yes….. I’ve not gone Botswana, I do wonder if I should just cancel it and do one in the future somewhere I actually haven’t been before…,!

is Botswana THAT good then…??!